Games/Toys for young children that is good exercise for them

gilboy

Hi

Guess it sounds like a strange post.

Basically - have 2 boys < 4. Unfortunately due to work commitments my day is pretty long - gone for 6:30am and home for 7:30pm. At the weekends I like to take them out cycling, swiming etc. During the week due to outlined hours I don't get to do much with them other than put them to bed!

However, I find during the week when the weather is poor they don't get a lot of exercise. Hence - was hoping to identify a fun game for them they can play at home which they enjoy which also happens to be good exercise

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies folks

Yes - had more in mind toys/games which they could play/do in the house

Thanks!

Hi
Guess it sounds like a strange post.

Not a strange post at all. In fact a very good one from a sound minded person who does not want to ended up with potato couch.

As you know, the attention span of young children is quite short, so they would want to change games every often. They may be a big young for board games. From experience, the activities that worked best with our kids were AquaDraw, jenga, playdough, painting, baking and juicing. In fact, everything that could get a bit messy! Lego for boys is a definite winner.
They also got a lot of use of these "explorer kits", e.g. clear container & magnifying lense. They spent hours going around the garden looking for creepy crawlees. While the weather dictates how long they can play outside, invest in good boots/leggings/coats/hats, and they can be outdoors must more than you would think. There is no bad weather, just bad clothes. Good luck

hi

if you are not precious about your house, musical chairs, hide and seek, ring a ring a roses, simon says, football (soft) in the kitchen, fun exercises like jumping jacks, see who can touch their toes, running on the spot, bunny hops. boys love activity and a bit of noise. Go back to your own childhood, what did you do that was innocent, cheap and good craic. Your kids will love the same.

Treasure hunts. Spend a little thought into writing / typing the clues and place around the house. We usually do this once they've gone to bed. The kids (6, 4 & 21/2 year old) love getting up in the morning and searching for first clue. This usually leads on a hunt with tasks to be completed (simple and basic) and can even lead to the outdoors once the weather improves.

Back