Furniture removal question.

gebbel

My Sister has asked me to get some advice: she and her husband are moving house. Their new house is only 1 mile from where they are now. They only require help with a few large items: 2 double beds, tables, fridge, dishwasher etc. Anyway she was quoted €650 by a moving company for 4 hours work. Now maybe that is the going rate, but funds are tight and she would like to do better. Can any recommend anything here? I have offered to help and perhaps we could hire a van??
Thanks.

Hi

I paid 750 euro 4 yrs ago to move house from one side of my estate to the other!! 3-4 hrs work. When I look back, it was total madness to pay that much.

In these times, prices should be a lot cheaper.

If I were doing the same today, I would certainly hire a van and enlist the help of a couple of well muscled male friends!

Hire a furniture van / light truck (Luton or Bedford body) for a day, about €100 in total.

I'd agree with the hiring a van option, a lot of the van hire companies do weekend-movers specials, 3 days for around 120euros ( depending on company . Person hiring must be over 25 with full licence & if you have fully comp insurance no additional insurance required. You can even hire trollies from them to help shift appliances etc

your best bet is to look up any van rental company they are all very competitive or another solution would be to look up the likes of the buy and sell. there are always adds there ( man with van) or one of the local newspapers.. this would save you changing insurance over etc.. plus they would offer extra man power.

... Can you recommend any place in particular to do this?
The usual caveat - that depends on location, location, location. :) Use something like the Golden Pages for a list of local / national renters and compare prices. Some will have minimum rental periods.

i moved 10miles 6 months ago and was quoted mental money to move all our belongings. we ended up hiring a large mercedes van from practical van rental in drogheda at a cost of 90 euro for the day, we got all the male family members in to give us a dig out and once we were settled in the house we had a big knees up and thanked everyone by having a barbeque and keeping the drink flowing. i found it the cheapest and less stressful way to move. hope this helps

We moved over 50 miles a few years ago - when things were at their peak. We were buying new electrical goods, which we bought in Power City. We got the name and number of the driver they use for deliveries from them and got him privately to do our removal. Even in the golden celtic tiger days we paid €260 for moving the contents of a 4-bed house. So if your sister has a local mall which has large stuff to be delivered to private homes, she might just get a lucky contact!

Back