Funeral Arrangements Advice (for me!)

Last year, as a 39 year old only child and no close family and no religious friends (although I would be somewhat), I asked my 65 and 75 year old parents who would bury me. (I am not approaching death - as far as I know).

My mother said she had heard it all, and regaled her work tea morning with this tale.

One of her co-workers happened upon a book in Easons' in O Connell Street that sets out the options. We had more laughs over this....!

Coincidentally, maybe it's with the turning of seasons, but I was thinking of my will today - or lack thereof. Given that my parents will be gone before me (I assume) and the fact that I have no relatives....and no great love for dogs/stray kittens/...to whom do I leave my (negative equity) house, car, savings etc. My god child is in all kinds of addiction, so he'd only waste it...should I just blow the lot on shoes?

. Given that my parents will be gone before me (I assume) and the fact that I have no relatives....and no great love for dogs/stray kittens/...to whom do I leave my (negative equity) house, car, savings etc. My god child is in all kinds of addiction, so he'd only waste it...should I just blow the lot on shoes?

If you've no will it will go to your parents, you could leave it to your godchild when they are about 30 or 40 or whatever age you think they might actually grow up. You never know down the road when somebody might need the money. One day that godchild of yours might cope on. Surely your NE house has life insurance so that will cover that. While I have a shoe fetish myself, don't think you'll get satisfaction out of that. Failing all that, how about a local charity. Or someobdy, relation or not, who has been there for you in your life.

What's CIC?
Citizens Information Centre
Last year, as a 39 year old only child and no close family and no religious friends (although I would be somewhat), I asked my 65 and 75 year old parents who would bury me. (I am not approaching death - as far as I know).

My mother said she had heard it all, and regaled her work tea morning with this tale.

One of her co-workers happened upon a book in Easons' in O Connell Street that sets out the options. We had more laughs over this....!

Coincidentally, maybe it's with the turning of seasons, but I was thinking of my will today - or lack thereof. Given that my parents will be gone before me (I assume) and the fact that I have no relatives....and no great love for dogs/stray kittens/...to whom do I leave my (negative equity) house, car, savings etc. My god child is in all kinds of addiction, so he'd only waste it...should I just blow the lot on shoes?

Don't rule out the option of supporting your god-child in a managed way. If he is getting services from a particular charity or NGO, then you could talk to them about the best way to do this. Or you could set up a formal trust through a solicitor, though obviously this will cost you. You could, for example, give him permanent rights to live in a property, but withhold the right to sell the property. Get good advice from someone in the sector about the best way to structure this.

Citizens Information Centre

Don't rule out the option of supporting your god-child in a managed way. If he is getting services from a particular charity or NGO, then you could talk to them about the best way to do this. Or you could set up a formal trust through a solicitor, though obviously this will cost you. You could, for example, give him permanent rights to live in a property, but withhold the right to sell the property. Get good advice from someone in the sector about the best way to structure this.

Wouldn't work, he doesn't live in this country and can't leave where he is (it's a long story....!)

My best friend had a baby a few months ago so that's going to have to be the plan.

Seems morbid! But sensible!

Wouldn't work, he doesn't live in this country and can't leave where he is (it's a long story....!)

My best friend had a baby a few months ago so that's going to have to be the plan.

Seems morbid! But sensible!

Great to hear you have a plan one way or other. I'm sure that there is a way to help the addict, if that's what you want to do, but of course, it is 100% your own choice and discretion. It would just be a shame to see it go to waste.

he's got parents....I know if I gave him the opportunity of any cash at this stage, it'd go in his arm. I didn't work hard for what I have for that.

he's got parents....I know if I gave him the opportunity of any cash at this stage, it'd go in his arm. I didn't work hard for what I have for that.

I'm not being argumentative, and of course it is fully your own choice. Just want to point out that there are ways to support him without giving him cash, or without giving him something that he can turn into cash - if that is what you want to do. I'm not sure of what those ways might be, but if you wanted to talk to people in that sector, I'm sure they could help. Maybe you could fund a rehab service or something?

Though the godchild sounds like a nice option too.

I had a chat with the rutland centre today, and I'm going to do that.....we're thinking about some kind of business training.

Now I've just turned forty so I don't intend going anywhere soon.

My sister's husband died recently after a long illness. He was cremated and the service was humanist. It was very moving; some of his poems were read, anyone who wanted to say anything was able to do so, and his favourite music was played.

I had a chat with the rutland centre today, and I'm going to do that.....we're thinking about some kind of business training.

Now I've just turned forty so I don't intend going anywhere soon.

Brilliant, delighted to think there might be some good options there. And of course, I hope this is all a fairly academic discussion!

Back