Full service on a diesel Passat - quoted about €220

Betsy Og

What do ye think re the above?

Its a VW dealer, guy I bought car from.

I would like to do the basics myself (think warrunty up soon) but theres no Haynes manual out yet re the car - an '03.

As I would only probably do basics like change oil & filter then maybe someone could confirm that the older Haynes Passat manual would do (think its up to 99 or so). With the engine being covered over by the plastic cover its hard to know whats what.

Have experience on Ford Fiesta's so can do the basics on that. I get the feeling VW is tougher - anyone know re oil filter changing?? I may just pop back after the service and ask one of the guys (though you usually feel like an eejit when asking such questions :eek: )

Depends what's involved, and how thorough the service is going to be. The value of a good service isn't simply having the oil, filter etc changed (though that is essential) but in having things like brake pads, brake fluid levels etc checked before they become a problem.

Try Belgard Motors if you are not happy with 220 euro

Hi

If you think 220 euro is steep, why not try Belgard Motors www.belgard.ie

I can almost guarantee that they'll have charged you almost 1000 euro by the time they finish an average service. I had my VW Golf serviced by them and had no change out of 900 euro. They wanted more but i told them the works were un-necessary!

My 'normal' VW dealer charges around 160 euro (on average). The garage staff even feel guilty charging me that much!

mc-BigE said:
There is a haynes manual:

[broken link removed]

Thanks for that. I was in a shop lately that had a catalogue of all Haynes manuals but it only went up to '00, so it must be hot off the presses.

Back