Full and comprehensive health screening

MangoJoe

This thread got me thinking https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/how-long-will-you-live.20621/ - I spend more servicing my car annually than I do on preventative maintenance on my own self. (* actually even beyond annually - I've never invested in proactive medical screening over the course of many decades…!)

The above thread in part briefly discusses full health screenings and there's some mention of whether going to a private hospital is necessary as your own GP can do the same series of tests. I'd love to hear some considered opinion on this.

Personally my own experience with GPs doing a health screening felt as thought it was a long, long way from being comprehensive.

I'd definitely see the value in getting a full health screening with blood tests, scans, cameras inserted in nooks and crannies etc in the interest of early detection of cancerous tissues/growths or any other medical condition.

As far as I am aware there are certain cancers that can be asymptomatic until a certain point at which time they've unfortunately spread and entrenched themselves to a grave extent.

I'd love to hear all thoughts and opinions please - Also personal recommendations on where to go and how much of a fee might apply would be gratefully appreciated.

I'm in the Midwest so Barringtons Limerick would be the closest but I'd travel for the best care available.

Thanks.

I am assuming you have health insurance. VHI have medical health screening packages (found with a quick google). Different options and price ranges.

Laya have an executive health check and they mention Bons as a partner so that would work with your location.

And there are companies that provide this service to companies who do staff health checks, my company do this every 2 years, all staff can avail of it and it is very good. So they may do the same for private individuals too.

Just a reminder of our Posting Guidelines

21 Please don't discuss medical issues including weight loss
We do not discuss medical issues other than to provide links to support groups and medical forums. We do not allow recommendations for doctors, dentists or medical practitioners generally. We do not allow discussion of weight loss issues either as they always develop into either advertising or medical topics such as anorexia.

You may discuss tax relief on medical expenses and pricing of medical services or health insurance. It is ok to provide information on the availability of emergency doctors or 24 hour pharmacies. But you should not discuss effectiveness of treatment or quality of care.

However, I think the advantages and availability of health screening is a worthy topic as long as it does not go off topic.

Back