Fuerteventura in January

Lane7

We are considering going to Fuerteventura last week of January for a relaxing but not "dead" holiday. Is this a good location or is it just too quite? Any recommendations for nice places to stay - hotel or apartment? THks

Lane,

We went in a few years ago around Easter. We're not big drinkers or stay-out-laters, however we do need something to do on a holiday. In Fuerte, there are sand dunes, and then...emmm...I'll think of something....

In a word, boring.

Fuertaventura in January

We were there in January a few years back - some absolutely beautiful beaches, but it is VERY windy - it was too cold for us - had to wear jackets and jeans the whole time....If you are in to any wind related sports - you will love it!

Just back after a week there for first time and really liked it. Have been to Lanzarote and Tenerife too a number of times. Fuerteventura is much less developed than other islands but too me thats a good thing. Though we spend a week there we had a car and toured whole island staying in 3 different places. The weather was absolutely fantastic for us with temperatures every day in 70's, it was proper beach weather, though a bit cooler at night and we didn't get too much wind, maybe we were lucky!

We are couple in our 50's and I would say if you want lively and night life the best place is Corralejo, which is main town. We didn't stay there just visited and there are Irish and English visitors there, thought there and elsewhere it is predominantely German visitors.

We stayed in south of island in Morro Jable which has fantastic stretches of white beach, this is a small town with a number of restaurants and bars right on seafront. There are plenty of hotels in this area, all the major chain ones, although they all seem to do only "all inclusive" which i hate so we stayed in a small self catering place. We also stayed in a place called Las Playitas, beaches here are a bit darker. Last place we stayed in was on west coast, a really small place called El Cotillo which again has fantastic white beaches and lagoons on one side and a surfing beach on other side of town. There is a lovely little harbour area with a few restaurants and bars, plenty for us and if going back there again this would be our favourite spot.

My only complaint would be I didn't think the restaurants were all that good, basic, nothing exceptional. Hope that helps.

The rest of

Hey Lane,

I haven't been to Fuerteventura in January but I was there last March and a couple of years ago in July also - Last March I stayed in the resort of Caleta de Fuste (or Costa Coleta) which I really liked! Lots of restaurants, nice beach everything low rise and a nice amount of people around without being too busy. Lots of bars too but only one nightclub which I believe only opens at the weekends in low season...

Previously I was in Corralejo which I didn't like at all but perhaps this was the time of year as it was high season and there was nothing but neon lights and people hassling you to go into their restaurants

G*

Fuerteventura has some fabulous white sandy beaches. If you want a relaxing holiday or are interested in water sports it's perfect. We were there in November and daily temps averaged about 27 C. If you want good food go the the restaurants in the old part of Corralejo, some good ones were El Andaluz at Calle Balena, Avenida at Calle General Primo, fab cheap seafood, expect to queue but worth the wait and Dovela on Calle La Inglesia. We would consider ourselves foodies and found the food to be excellant.

Back