Fuel allowance application refused

Bocking14

Fuel Allowance was applied for as a Community Employment (CE) scheme participant.

The application was refused due to not being on Jobseekers Allowance for 312 days prior to commencing the CE scheme.

I was in receipt of the PUP for more than 312 days before joining the CE scheme.

There is no appeals process for this decision however a review can be requested.

Has anyone successfully had their application accepted following a review?

Is there any point in requesting a review?

Thank you.

PUP of itself isn't a qualifying payment for fuel allowance. It will only be taken into account if a person went from PUP to JA - it can be used in that instance to reach 312 days.

If you went straight from PUP to CE, you haven't been on a qualifying payment.

PUP of itself isn't a qualifying payment for fuel allowance. It will only be taken into account if a person went from PUP to JA - it can be used in that instance to reach 312 days.

If you went straight from PUP to CE, you haven't been on a qualifying payment.

Timeline as follows:

Initially PUP
JSA for one week
JSB for 6 months
CE scheme since August 2022

It seems JSB is treated the same as PUP as I’m not a qualifying payment?

Qualifying payments for Fuel Allowance are listed here:

As explained in great Detail elsewhere, if OP went from PUP directly on to a CE scheme & was not as they stated elsewhere on JSA prior to starting the CE scheme, Fuel allowance will not be awarded. Time on PUP + JSA (even a short time) can be used to Qualify but not time on PUP alone.

How the OP went from PUP, to JSA & then to JSB is a mystery.

Qualification for Jobseeker's Benefit is based on PRSI and the Governing Contribution Year (usually the year before or the 2nd year before the year of the claim).
A person may fail to qualify for a benefit payment close to the end of a calendar year, but may qualify at the start of the next year as the GCY changes.

JSA rather than JSB was initially awarded due to a mistake by DEASP; it was quickly rectified upon discovery and transferred to the correct payment, JSB.

JSA rather than JSB was initially awarded due to a mistake by DEASP; it was quickly rectified upon discovery and transferred to the correct payment, JSB.
Thanks for clarifying.
Ultimately isn't the key issue that you haven't been on any payments that qualify you for the Fuel Allowance payment?
By all means query it with the DSP but it seems like a correct decision on their part?

Thanks for clarifying.
Ultimately isn't the key issue that you haven't been on any payments that qualify you for the Fuel Allowance payment?
By all means query it with the DSP but it seems like a correct decision on their part?
Yes, the issue is eligibility for fuel allowance and it appears I am ineligible.
I’ve reread the Fuel Allowance rules on the CIC website and they don’t explicitly state that the qualifying payment must be JSA directly before transferring to the CE scheme, however this is apparently the case.

Back