FTB Do I qualify?

F

Financehelp

I've recently married and my husband has a property in his own name, we are now looking to buy a house. If we put my name on the deeds and both on the mortgage do I qualify as a first time buyer?

From revenue:

What is the position where the purchase monies are not provided entirely by the first time buyer?

To qualify for the relief the entirety of the purchase monies, including any borrowings, must be provided by the first time buyer. Any person, who provides part of the purchase monies or who is a party to any borrowings relating to such purchase, is also regarded as a buyer of the house and the relief will not be available unless that other person is also a first time buyer. …
This treatment applies whether or not all the parties providing the purchase monies, or all the parties to any borrowings, are actually named in the deed of transfer.
Notwithstanding this treatment, to take account of the particular circumstances which have arisen, Revenue is prepared to accept that a child, who is a first time buyer, will not be precluded from claiming first time buyer relief where a parent acts as a co-mortgagor in the following circumstances:
• The transfer of the house is taken in the name of the child.
• It is the intention of both the child and the parent that the parent is not to take a beneficial interest in the house.
• The parent has been joined into the mortgage solely at the request of the lending institution for the purpose of providing additional security for the monies being advanced for the purchase.
• It is not intended that the parent will be contributing to the repayment of the mortgage in the normal course.
Where the four conditions set out above are satisfied, Revenue will treat the parent as effectively acting in the role of guarantor for the loan.

He's not a FTB so and you will jointly not be FTBs if you buy jointly. As far as I know just having your name on the mortgage/property deeds is not sufficient to qualify for FTB status if he is actually contributing towards the purchase and has a beneficial interest in the property. See here for example:

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

The only way around is it is to get separated/divorced and then you can buy . Then you could get back together I guess . But would it be worth it ?

Separated with no beneficial interest in his previous PPR or inherited or had the property gifted to him are the only ways I can see you of availing of FTB status.

Last edited:
Back