FTB Arklow or Tallaght so confused

we've been down 2 arklow few times and well its lovely place but i've always lived in dublin and have feeling the commute to my family would be very tiresome...saw lovely place in newtown mt kennedy but very overpriced so unless that comes down to realistic price we're back to tallaght!!..driving over today to have look at areas etc have list houses that I like..list includes..allenton ave,oldbawn park,tymon,
springfield,brookview drive,raheen....anyone know anything bout these places??..I'm looking at houses bit over my budget as well reckoning on getting them cheaper..;)
You have been renting for seven years..would you not consider waiting another six months or a year to see how things pan out regarding house prices/ economy. We really are in economic ground breaking territory and most educated commentators will tell you that house prices have a long way to drop yet. I just don`t see the logic, in your situation anyway, to rush into moving just yet..I hope you think hard on this...best of luck anyway on your decision.:)

hi justmum3,

I previously told you about my friends that looked at that house in Sundale Walk, they were very impressed in this house, something happened with their finance so they are going to wait. The reason I am telling you as there was a write up in the local paper about this paticular house as being the best buy in Tallaght, maybe it will have what you're looking for, check it out nothing ventured nothing gained. I can only speak highly as I live in this area, but don't take it from me, I think you'll be surprised. Its on daft, dying to know what you think of it, good luck

I would steer clear of Tallaght. Granted there are areas in Tallaght that are not so bad but I think you would always have to watch your back living there. You'd have less hassle in Arklow. My brother and sister live in Arklow and love it.
I'd prefer to live with a seaside view than a concrete jungle view any day as well

I think a three bed for under €300k means a pretty ropey area in Dublin. But hey that just shows how inflated prices still are so rent a wee while longer. It's nuts that you'd need 9 times the average industrial wage to live in an area where most people are unemployed! :eek:

Some of these comments regarding Tallaght are out of hand.

hi funbobby we saw house from outside today and its really lovely and knowing what inside looks from brochures i'm well impressed it really has everything we need esp with 3 kids.My main concern moving is the kids have kids own age near them and well it was only estate today that good mix of kids playing around the area and the area house itself is in looks very well kept:)..i have sellers e mail address as i had originally mailed her bout house until other ppl talked down the area thats what i get from listening 2 others hey!!
Seems how u live there could u tell me what traffic is like getting out to southbound m50 in mornings? ( hubbys main gripe )
Whats the schools like? Whats the place like at nighttimes?
I'm going 2 make appointment to view next week see what place feels like

Reason i'm considering moving now is my daughter is now in 4th class and for her sake i think i'd need to give her chance to get to make friends and hopefully attend same secondary school as new friends dont want to leave it 2 late that it affects her too much..we've been living in gorgeous private estate in shankill for 7 years now and if we leave it much longer can see her been upset..if we sit out the "crash" could be another year before moving and cant do that to her..

I previously told you about my friends that looked at that house in Sundale Walk, they were very impressed in this house, something happened with their finance so they are going to wait. The reason I am telling you as there was a write up in the local paper about this paticular house as being the best buy in Tallaght, maybe it will have what you're looking for, check it out nothing ventured nothing gained. I can only speak highly as I live in this area, but don't take it from me, I think you'll be surprised. Its on daft, dying to know what you think of it, good luck

hi munjust three, my husband is a barber in stillorgan and he drives south bound M50 every morning without any hassel, i myself travel down accross the m50 earlier than him and i have no problem, but he travels in peak and max time drive for him is half an hour. me writing on this was just originally defending our area and then i noticed your situation. We have the new citywest shopping centre which has dunnes stores and its about two min from the door. There are loads of children out playing all ages as you prob already saw, there are numerous schools in the area you would have to check them yourself for personal pref, getting back to the traffic, with the new road open to lucan the traffic has improved too, so good luck

It's fair comment. From what I can see, Arklow has less rough areas than Tallaght

You didn't direct you comments at the rough areas of Tallaght you directed them at the whole of Tallaght. You stated that even if some areas were "not so bad" you'd "always have to watch your back living there". You also called it a "concrete jungle".

I don't live in Tallaght but I didn't think your comments reflected fairly on my experience of the area (both the rough and not so rough spots).

It's fair comment. From what I can see, Arklow has less rough areas than Tallaght

That's a very vague comment, just because arklow may have some nicer areas than tallaght doesn't make it right to tar the whole of tallaght with the one brush. That's like considering the city centre as all the same. Tallaght is huge and like anywhere there are lovely parts and not so lovely parts.

With regard to Sundale - I found this thread from 2006. Alot of the comments expressed in the attached post were my initial understanding of Sundale, not what Funbobby has posted. However I have never lived there and she does so she will have the best experience of the area. Just be aware that we are all a bit defensive of where we live.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=35337

:eek:OMG jus read thru those posts...hadn't found that thread before..is there others who've lived there reading this who have same opinions or is this a biased "anywhere but tallaght" thread???
We're settled on waiting til new year see how prices go as they are falling so hoping they'll fall 2 our level out where we're living at moment!!!

Lived in Arklow for about 3.5 years then moved back up to tallaght.

The commute is tiring very doable but still tiring. Even when the traffic was good it was still a 47 mile drive from town used to work or tallaght where I work now.
At least an hour more like 1.20

You are talking at least 400 to 500 miles a week on a car. thats a lot of fuel servicing tyres and heartache.

Now live 10 mins walk from work best move I ever made.

Arklow can be a bit clicky I found although plenty of dubs down there now.

As said before aim as close to dublin and work as reasonably possible.

Arklow really doesn't have much going for it and it is quite a drive every morning but house prices are low and money can go far in this respect.
Rathnew is nice in places other parts are to be avoided.
Ashford is a nice location but you maybe pressed to find a house there to suit your budget.
Newtown Mount Kennedy can be a lot worse then Rathnew but I hear it has some nice parts to it now too.
Glenealy might be worth a look too,it is beside Ashford and really nice,lots of new houses being build up there.
Wicklow town could be the perfect location though,if you look carefully you should find a house there to suit your budget.There are 4 secondary schools,a few primary schools,a train station and shops.

justmum3Re: FTB Arklow or Tallaght so confused
:eek:OMG jus read thru those posts...hadn't found that thread before..is there others who've lived there reading this who have same opinions or is this a biased "anywhere but tallaght" thread???

Well I wouldn't be of that frame of mind. There are plenty of nice areas in Tallaght, however these are more obvious from the higher price tag which wouldn't suit you. From what I have heard about Sundale (I have family that live in Tallaght) it would definitely not be somewhere they would move to just to be settled for their kids. I think you are right to stay where you are and continue renting.

Back