frustrated rant.

Why Clubman have you gone out of your way to have a go at my postings, rather than admit the fact that there are people posting onto your forums that appear to have no grasp of basic written English.
I try to write something that is in some way legible for readers.
I have admitted on the other thread that my spelling and grammar can be incorrect.

You appear to have the typical attitude of our taoiseach and his bunch of merry chancers.
Attack the person who raises a problem, or what we nowadays term "issue", rather than do or say anything about the problem itself.

I drew attention to the fact that the quality of written English appearing on web forums can be atrocious.
You do not appear to have to any opinion on this?

And we wonder why we are losing jobs to India :rolleyes:

I drew attention to the fact that the quality of written English appearing on web forums can be atrocious.
You do not appear to have to any opinion on this?

And we wonder why we are losing jobs to India :rolleyes:

Yes, those 2 statements quite clearly lead to that conclusion.:rolleyes:

Yes - it's all my fault. Sorry... :(

Glad to see you are admitting it :)
Admitting you have a problem or are a problem I heard is the first step on the path to salvation :)

Yes, those 2 statements quite clearly lead to that conclusion.:rolleyes:

Well maybe Jock the reason we are loosing jobs to our Eastern friends and the Indian subcontintent has something to do with the standard of people our education system is providing as well as our cost base.
We Irish are quick to point the finger at the lack of English language skills of Indian workers, but maybe we should look closer to home.

Glad to see you are admitting it :)
Admitting you have a problem or are a problem I heard is the first step on the path to salvation :)

Well maybe Jock the reason we are loosing jobs to our Eastern friends and the Indian subcontintent has something to do with the standard of people our education system is providing as well as our cost base.
We Irish are quick to point the finger at the lack of English language skills of Indian workers, but maybe we should look closer to home.

Rightly or wrongly, many people now converse on boards in a slightly upmarket version of text-speak. It's not that they can't use grammar, but many are slipping out of the habit. Blame today's must-rush, disposable society, if you will. Or, alternatively, Clubman.:D

Incidentally, there's only one "o" in losing. ;)

Is it just me or have there been a lot of uppity posts over the last few days? (I include myself in that BTW) ;)

Last edited:
I think the main objective of the forums is to ASK FOR ADVICE.

It seems petty for people to be continuously pointing out to posters where they have made errors, spelt incorrectly, or incorrect use of grammar etc. Surely users of the forum are providing advice on a particular query.

What is the role of the moderator, is it too highlight a contributors mistakes and ask others to give it a mark out of ten?

Perhaps they are one of the 25% of the Irish Population found to have the lowests levels of literacy (reading,writing, working with numbers)! Perhaps we should ban them from the site. (Im not serious!)

Another frustrated ranter.
*awaits grammar lesson*

I almost agree that there is a disappointingly low standard of grammar and spelling on display, ...sometimes, but I don't feel that it needs to be highlighted as an issue in itself, UNLESS (IMHO) it seriously affects one's ability to understand the point trying to be made. Whilst I hope to be as correct as possible in my posts, I do not believe for a second that I never make a mistake. So unless you are absolutely word-perfect, I would suggest that "people in glass houses...etc".

Since we have the grammar thing sorted out I'd like everyone to rank their table manners on a scale of one to ten. Set out the silver and ask yourself if you really know which fork and knife is for what.

Be honest now, this is important!

My rant of the day regards a lovely, stripy Ralph Lauren shirt, my mother bought me during a recent trip to Hong Kong (Bless her). I washed the said article last night on a high temperature wash but unfortunately the head of the horse and one of its hooves fell off. I won't be wearing it this weekend so does anyone want to buy it, before it goes on EBay?

I almost agree that there is a disappointingly low standard of grammar and spelling on display, ...sometimes, but I don't feel that it needs to be highlighted as an issue in itself, UNLESS (IMHO) it seriously affects one's ability to understand the point trying to be made. Whilst I hope to be as correct as possible in my posts, I do not believe for a second that I never make a mistake. So unless you are absolutely word-perfect, I would suggest that "people in glass houses...etc".
I agree - unless it's completely unintelligible, it's gramatically incorrect coming from somebody preaching for perfection in that respect, or there's a particularly funny malapropism worth highlighting then it's hardly worth drawing attention to it.

Since we have the grammar thing sorted out I'd like everyone to rank their table manners on a scale of one to ten. Set out the silver and ask yourself if you really know which fork and knife is for what.

Be honest now, this is important!
My manservant takes care of things like that and opening my cans of Bavaria for me.

Re: frustrated rant.... a big ask!

My rant is the increasing use of the expression... "a big ask". I think it started to become common usage on Sky Sports, but, I'm hearing it off my kids!

Where will it stop....

"I want a big do from you"

Grumpy Old Northsider :(

Re: frustrated rant.... a big ask!

...I'm hearing it off my kids!
2ykf4nk.gif

'Off' should be From.

Prob here imho is the political system too many pols worrying about small local issues not enough thinking about the big picture or joined up thinking

Perhaps that's because 9 out of 10 contacts to the pols from voters are about small local issues, and the policy contacts are coming from professional lobbyists.

I would suggest that "people in glass houses...etc".

See what I mean!! Even looking back at my own post I see that my punctuation (above) was all over the place, and I'm sure that everyone else saw that too, but my point was clear!

Back