Frost proof hedging

Ron J

Lost a fine Oleria hedge after the last period of bad weather. Need to replace it and heard that the more sap in a plant the more frost resistant it is. Laurel or Holly are supposed to have the most sap.

Does anyone know if this is true ? Would laurel be a good choice for a frost resistant hedge ?

Hardy Hedging

Hello
I have had laurel hedges and they never suffer from frost.
I have also had 'grisalinea' it was badly damaged and took years to recover.
I also had an 'escolania' with the pink flower that suffered but recovered quickly. I trimmed it back and left the healthiest part and put some fertiliser around the root. Best of luck Browtal

garden.ie seems holly and yew are two gerry mentioning. Fertiliser good for regrowth but wont help plant if dead, waiting game im afraid.

lost grisalinea myself last year but did recover, again this year suffered, goin to cut to the ground and replace in between the root balls.

Have single laurel planted, five years old, looks very bad, leaves browned, ready to shed.

Thanks Folks. Looks like the Oleria is totally dead. Will cut it at ground level and plant in between the old plants. Escallonia is a good option and one I'd like to use just not 100% sure its as frost proof as I need. Its down to two - looks like Escallonia or Laurel.

I had Escallonia planted all around my site. Whatever didn't die last winter died this winter. Never again.

Thanks Folks. Looks like the Oleria is totally dead. Will cut it at ground level and plant in between the old plants. Escallonia is a good option and one I'd like to use just not 100% sure its as frost proof as I need. Its down to two - looks like Escallonia or Laurel.
We have escallonia as well and we're not sure if it's dead, but it's looking very brown at the moment.

If you're going to go ahead with the escallonia, look for the broad leafed variety. We have the one with the smaller leaves and it is very slow growing and more sensitive than our neighbours hedge with the broad leafed one.

Having planted grisalinea only to see it fail I would recommend Viburnum tinus (Laurustinus). It's evergreen with lovely white flowers all winter and very hardy.

have one of these but not sure what variety but is does have white flowers and balck/red fruit, five years old so very nice size, last year cut away a good bit of dead bits, this year reckon it for removal as all leaves looking in bad state.

I had an escallonia macrantha hege that was 4 years old. It was doing really well, thick and beautiful until last winter. I had to cut it back severely, and it was only barely recovering. This year's bad winter has totally killed it altogether. Am planning on digging it up and replacing with maybe leylandii or thuja. My neighbor has laurel, and it is quite damaged and brown, though not entirely dead, but I think they will have to cut alot of it off. The only other option is to go with a deciduous hedge like beech or hornbeam.

leylandii or thuja

wouldnt bother with leylandaii as ours lost 35 in total, going to replace with holly, how it will look is another thing but....

have thuja as specimen plants in a row (thriving and look lovely) but would prove very expensive if you'v a large boundary hedge.

Back