Front door lock

looper

Hi all,

My front door is a PVC door with a handle on the inside and just a pull handle on the outside which has a key barrell lock. The 18th month old is nearly able to reach the handle to open the door. Any ideas of what type of lock i can install at a higher level to sort this problem out of him trying to escape!!

i fitted a small barrel bolt to the top of ours as our son sleep walks. one night i found him outside in the street . its a balancing act between safety for him by keeping him in and everyone else by not locking us all in wih a key

I had the same set up as you.....until two days ago......but I acted on security basis rather than child protection.

I wanted to be able to engage the 5 point locking system from the outside when leaving home so I got a handle fitted in lieu of the pull plate and now I can fully lock the door from the outside like I do from the inside.

Much more secure but only drawback is that you always have to remember to lock the door after you whether going in or out........if you forget anyone can walk in. I think its worth it though and would certainly prevent a child from casually walking out. Cost: €45.

Easiest option is to put a chain on the door at adult eye height. Just put the chain on the door when your in the house.

Back