From full-time to 2 days a week now finishing up

Mopsy

Just a quick question!

I was full time in my job up to last December 08. I have been on 2 days a week with JSB for the other three days. My boss has told me today that he is now going to have to let me go as his business has plummeted. I totally understand his position.

So what happens now? Do I get a redudancy and will I get my job seekers benefit for another while?

Thanks.

Hi Mopsy,

I'm in a similar situation, I finished up today, after being on a 3 day week since last January.
If you are with your employer more than 2 years and satisfy the other criteria you should qualify for redundancy. Check out welfare.ie, citizensinformation.ie and redundancy.ie.
As far as social welfare goes I spoke to Citizens Information earlier and was told to go to my local SW office (the 'hatch' number I was given when I first submitted a claim for 2 days) and they will change my payment to fully unemployed. I have a letter from my employer sating I finished up today and will bring that with me. I should then continue to get SW payment until I have used up my days. But am hoping in the meantime to pick up some work.
I am going to the SW office tomorrow morning so will post back here afterwards.

HTH
ATgirl

Last edited:
Mopsy, how long were you in employment. If it was anything over two years you have a legal entitlement to statutory Redundancy at a minimum.

Thanks for the replies. I have been full time employment since Sept 2003 to November 2008 and since December 2008 to now, on 2 days a week.

I will be interested to see how you get on and what time frame all of this will take.

Like you, I have already applied for a job.....like hundreds of others....but it is one I would like. It is also full time and is only 20 miles from where I live so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Failing that, I will keep trying to get something in my area of expertise although I wouldn't mind going into retail if it means keeping occupied. At least, I am lucky, I have a husband in full time employment and I should be thankful for that. However, a part-time job would be more than welcome.

Hi Mopsy,

I'm in a similar situation, I finished up today, after being on a 3 day week since last January.
If you are with your employer more than 2 years and satisfy the other criteria you should qualify for redundancy. Check out welfare.ie, citizensinformation.ie and redundancy.ie.
As far as social welfare goes I spoke to Citizens Information earlier and was told to go to my local SW office (the 'hatch' number I was given when I first submitted a claim for 2 days) and they will change my payment to fully unemployed. I have a letter from my employer sating I finished up today and will bring that with me. I should then continue to get SW payment until I have used up my days. But am hoping in the meantime to pick up some work.
I am going to the SW office tomorrow morning so will post back here afterwards.

HTH
ATgirl

Went to my SW office yesterday, to my 'hatch' number. I was told to keep filling in my yellow dockets, putting in all 'x', then once I have my P45 I am to go back in straight away and they will change my claim to fully unemployed. This way there is no break in my payments.

OK. At least now I know what to do. Thanks for the info.

Went to my SW office yesterday, to my 'hatch' number. I was told to keep filling in my yellow dockets, putting in all 'x', then once I have my P45 I am to go back in straight away and they will change my claim to fully unemployed. This way there is no break in my payments.

Back