"Friends" who do odd things

batty

]Believe me it is true. He was a very close confidant who obviously got his thrill from taping and listening others' conversations. In the heated exchange at the time, he told me he taped all his conversations. I class him as a pervert. Different strokes for different folks but alas and without an apology I will never speak with him ever again.[/QUOTE]

This is from mercman where a mate was taping all his phone conversations (hope you don't mind me using this MM).

So have you encountered anything odd/weird/strange from friends?

A friend recently quoted back to me something I said in an email in 1999, I jokingly asked has she kept every email I ever sent her, apparently yes. was a bit weirded out.

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

]Believe me it is true. He was a very close confidant who obviously got his thrill from taping and listening others' conversations. In the heated exchange at the time, he told me he taped all his conversations. I class him as a pervert. Different strokes for different folks but alas and without an apology I will never speak with him ever again.

This is from mercman where a mate was taping all his phone conversations (hope you don't mind me using this MM).

So have you encountered anything odd/weird/strange from friends?

A friend recently quoted back to me something I said in an email in 1999, I jokingly asked has she kept every email I ever sent her, apparently yes. was a bit weirded out.

Reminds me of an acquitance of mine who I've had to deal with through work from time to time. Seems to keep copies of every email, all correspondence and recordings of important phone calls. Once asked him for his opinion on someone else I was dealing with - was expecting to get the usual sort of reply "yes, he's good to deal with" or " no, he didnt do X,Y, Z etc last time I dealt with him..." Instead, a couple of days later I got couriered a large ring bound file of 100s of pages with detailed background information (including personal life) plus copies of emails/correspondence, transcripts of conversations etc with commentary attached. A bit over the top. Ever since I've confined my conversations and emails to this person to basic one liners and dont engage in smalltalk.

Reminds me of an acquitance of mine who I've had to deal with through work from time to time. Seems to keep copies of every email, all correspondence and recordings of important phone calls. Once asked him for his opinion on someone else I was dealing with - was expecting to get the usual sort of reply "yes, he's good to deal with" or " no, he didnt do X,Y, Z etc last time I dealt with him..." Instead, a couple of days later I got couriered a large ring bound file of 100s of pages with detailed background information (including personal life) plus copies of emails/correspondence, transcripts of conversations etc with commentary attached. A bit over the top. Ever since I've confined my conversations and emails to this person to basic one liners and dont engage in smalltalk.

:eek: Where do people find the time?

Stinginess really annoys me. Unable to get a taxi, a 'friend' of a friend once offered me a lift into town without me asking or hinting. Great I thought - until I got there. He then casually and without batting an eyelid asked me for the cost of the fare that the taxi would have cost.

I said "Certainly sir" and gave him a tip too.

NOT. :mad:

Not trying to freak any body out but I have kept some emails from friends as they will come in handy in the future. e.g.

Title: That Mayo girl.
"The blind date wasn’t great. I didn’t fancy her at all and she was way too old for me. I was told she was a babe. I think that mayo girl you introduced to me was nice though. Find out if she still likes me. If she does, ask her can I have her number and I’ll ring her.I did snog her anyway briefly on Friday night."

The couple have now moved in together and are going out 18 months. That's bestman material if I ever heard it.

There's another one I received from a friend (presumably drunk at time of writing) about "sensual and romantic" tango he witnessed in Argentina. He'll never live that one down. But I wouldn't hold on to emails unless they could be used as slagging against the best of friends.

I know someone who is tight with money even though she insists she isn't. The amount of times she has to confirm this speaks volums imo.

A few of us shared a taxi one night and we were the last drop. Total fare came to €18 and she waited for the taxi man to give her the €2. The 2 other drop offs gave her €5 each, as I did, so her fare only cost her €3. This is a regular occurance.

Another night we were out for dinner and the bill was paid while I was in the bathroom. We had all thrown in €30 or so which was covering the tip - just about because she doesn't believe in tips normally (not her problem if the employer doesn't pay the staff enough). When I came back to the table she handed me a €1 as my pizza cost €1 less because I didn't get an extra topping.

I avoid being in rounds with her as every 3 or 4 drinks she works out how much the person drinking volka and coke owes the pint drinker.

Stingy friends bug the hell out of me I have to say! I have one in particular who has never paid for a taxi in her life. I have dropped hints as have other friends. Does the usual with the round of drinks, buys the first and then disappears every time her round pops up again. Worst of the lot was drinks we had for a birthday recently, I had a full pint on front of me as did another mate - it was her round and we had actually agreed between each other to make her buy her round. Anyway we made an excuse to leave the table and said to her could she go to bar and get the drinks in when we were gone. We came back and she had split our two pints between her, her friend and us - two pints split into 4 drinks! . Stunned I was, asked what the hell she thought she was doing, she laughed it off and said the bar was too packed! :mad:

I know someone (who is good at entertaining but is not a caterer) whose neighbour "friend" asked her to cater for her 40th for about 60 people. The birthday girl told other people that "it was no bother" for the neighbour who produced the food. She gave her a bunch of flowers as a thank you for her trouble.

Stinginess is the worst.

Im of the opinion, in a restaurant, Im having the same night out as the rest of my table, regardless of if I drink or not. When it comes to bill splitting I just pay whatever the split is. The way I look at it, sometimes I get a more expensive starter, sometimes I dont bother with a starter, sometimes I drink, sometimes i dont drink, sometimes I get a big steak main course, other times I get a salad, sometimes I get dessert, sometimes I dont etc... A lot of variables come into play and if you were to start calculating exactly how much each person owed itd be endless.

It does my head in when someone goes 'oh I didnt drink so Im giving a fiver less' - eh, I didnt have dessert but Im still paying!!!

I was in a restaurant last saturday night and a table of 12 or 14 people were seated near me, one guy got up and went downstairs, came back and announced to the group 'Ive spoken to the waitress and requested we are billed seperately for food and alcohol'.

I would have gotten up and left that table were me.

Stinginess!!!!

A group out for a meal - all had similar things to eat so a split bill would have been about right (I'd normally make an allowance if someone doesn't drink, but we all were drinking that night)

One of the girls insisted on working out who owed what - and went through the bill with each person who then paid their money & headed into the bar. She was then left with the balance.....but she forgot to add in the sauces which were charged separately & cost her an extra €20.....

I bet that was the last time she itemised a bill like that (it was the last time I ate out with her!!)

Stinginess is the worst.

Im of the opinion, in a restaurant, Im having the same night out as the rest of my table, regardless of if I drink or not. When it comes to bill splitting I just pay whatever the split is. The way I look at it, sometimes I get a more expensive starter, sometimes I dont bother with a starter, sometimes I drink, sometimes i dont drink, sometimes I get a big steak main course, other times I get a salad, sometimes I get dessert, sometimes I dont etc... A lot of variables come into play and if you were to start calculating exactly how much each person owed itd be endless.

It does my head in when someone goes 'oh I didnt drink so Im giving a fiver less' - eh, I didnt have dessert but Im still paying!!!

I was in a restaurant last saturday night and a table of 12 or 14 people were seated near me, one guy got up and went downstairs, came back and announced to the group 'Ive spoken to the waitress and requested we are billed seperately for food and alcohol'.

I would have gotten up and left that table were me.

I agree. I don't drink wine so might have 2 bottles of beer. Sometimes peole will say - oh we had 3 expensive bottles of wine and insist I pay a bit less.

The one who makes sure she orders a fillet steak or a pizza with 3 extra toppings so as to make sure she gets more bang for her buck drives me mad though.

I know someone who is tight with money even though she insists she isn't. The amount of times she has to confirm this speaks volums imo.

A few of us shared a taxi one night and we were the last drop. Total fare came to €18 and she waited for the taxi man to give her the €2. The 2 other drop offs gave her €5 each, as I did, so her fare only cost her €3. This is a regular occurance.

Another night we were out for dinner and the bill was paid while I was in the bathroom. We had all thrown in €30 or so which was covering the tip - just about because she doesn't believe in tips normally (not her problem if the employer doesn't pay the staff enough). When I came back to the table she handed me a €1 as my pizza cost €1 less because I didn't get an extra topping.

I avoid being in rounds with her as every 3 or 4 drinks she works out how much the person drinking volka and coke owes the pint drinker.

Is she a schoolteacher by any chance?

Back