Friend refusing to repay loan

I’m not surprised by this scenario. Your relation who loaned the money probably doesn’t have the street-cred of the likes of me (who doesn’t trust anybody, anywhere or any time) and some other posters. Chalk it down to experience and a down payment to a lesson of Street-Cred savvy. Likely, it’s the cheapest lesson he or she (probably a he) will experience. The Irish in the Irish dictates that you never ask for your money back that you have loaned or you’ll be castigated. We have credit unions and banks for loan repayments. I hope I haven’t offended.
I find that an incredibly depressing post. Most people are honest, open, generous and willing to help. We all do it; we hold door open for people, we share our umbrella in the rain, we are far more likely than not to return valuables we find. In fact it is our sociability, generously and desire to help others that is our defining evolutionary strength and allowed us to out compete our stronger and more intelligent cousins the Neanderthals. During times of disaster we are overwhelmingly inclined to share resources and help each other, complete strangers as much as family members.

So don't lend money to people without a written agreement but don't make the non payment of such loans the defining characteristic of humanity.

1. Most of us are honest. (Not everybody though - fact)
2. No problem from me believing many enjoy holding doors for others. (Except the bra burner who failed to see my decency and abused me for holding a door open for her)
3. We usually hand up items we find. (Don’t say that too often to a Garda).
4. Our evolutionary strength is nothing but myth.
5. Mercifully, I know little about the Neanderthals other than I must endure some of them daily especially when the bus arrives and none of them understand what a queue is. If you have difficulty understand this, come to Cork (I’m leaving myself open here)
6. When it comes to money, favours and books though, we seldom return them.
Paraphrase:- If you want to lose a friend just loan him some money. Chances are you’ll never see the money or him again. This is the first lesson I taught my offspring on reaching ten years of age. In the years since I haven’t seen anything to change my mind.

Reactions: jpd
1. Most of us are honest. (Not everybody though - fact)
2. No problem from me believing many enjoy holding doors for others. (Except the bra burner who failed to see my decency and abused me for holding a door open for her)
3. We usually hand up items we find. (Don’t say that too often to a Garda).
4. Our evolutionary strength is nothing but myth.
5. Mercifully, I know little about the Neanderthals other than I must endure some of them daily especially when the bus arrives and none of them understand what a queue is. If you have difficulty understand this, come to Cork (I’m leaving myself open here)
6. When it comes to money, favours and books though, we seldom return them.
Paraphrase:- If you want to lose a friend just loan him some money. Chances are you’ll never see the money or him again. This is the first lesson I taught my offspring on reaching ten years of age. In the years since I haven’t seen anything to change my mind.
I've lent money to friends on a few occasions. I've never done so with the expectation of getting it back as I place way more value on friendship than money. I've always been repaid. The loans have ranged from a few hundred to a few thousand. The repayment terms have been "give it to me when you can".

In my more than 50 years on this planet my view that we are essentially good by nature has been consistently validated by my direct and indirect experience.
There is very strong evidence that cooperation, empathy and sociability (our willingness to share information and skills) are our biggest evolutionary strengths.

There's a few a bit more brazen that hang around with little intention of repaying any loan they have ever gotten.

The vast majority of people who lend friends money get it back and they keep their friends.

Aphorisms like "if you want to lose a friend, lend him money" are not substitutes for thinking issues through.

Brendan

I had a work colleague, some 20 years ago, who spun me a convincing, sob story, involving a sick sibling, a cash flow problem and a need for an urgent trip abroad. I lent him 600 Euros and told him to pay it back when his troubles were sorted.
It was all nonsense, of course, and i never saw the money again.
I have, since that time, made several loans to friends and colleagues, of similar amounts and always, without exception, been paid back very promptly. So, I am not a complete cynic and still think helping friends is a positive in life.
Some people are just dishonest and will screw you for a few quid. Its hard to judge people, but thats what you are relying on and there really isn't any legal redress for this type of thing.

Well anyone who will set fire to your bra, or any of your items of clothing, is probably not a nice person.
Particularly if one is still wearing it.

So the rude person wanted to burn Leper's bra?

Or Leper wanted to burn the rude person's bra?

Its all a bit bizarre.

Back