French Employment laws

Hans

This is a long shot but just wondered if anybody is familiar with French employment laws. My son is working in France for the summer during his holidays from Uni. He told me today he is working from 7 o clock pm until about 2 o clock at night but he'll only be paid until 11.30 as that is a law in France. This doesn't ring true to me as my little knowledge of French workers they usually fights for their rights and this sounds like a rip off to me. I would really appreciate any help with this so I can advise him.

Doesn't sound right to me.
Having said that it is very common for employers in France to have employees half on the books and half off. So maybe the half on the books is up to 11 30 and over those hours he would incur bigger cotisations.

Therefore emplyer should pay him "on the black" from 11 30 to 2 am.

I'm not an expert at all. But this is my best guess.
The cotisations for a full time employee in France cost the employer about 120% of the emplyees take home wage...not sustainable for many small businesses.

I was thinking about this again.
When I worked as a waitress/barmaid in Ireland I only got paid up to a certain, early time. After that I worked...effectively for free. In the waitressing game I would sometimes be compensated by customers giving me a bigger tip for having stayed til 4 am. So it happens here too.

Back