French campsite chalets

TRipley

Hello,

I've booked a 3 bedroom chalet (32 m2 with deck) for myself, my wife, 2 young kids (3 and 1yrs) and my parents on a french campsite.

I'm a little concerned that it may be a little uncomfortable for my parents - does anyone have any experience of staying in these chalets with a similar family size?

thanks,TRipley

Don't expect a lot of personal space, 32m2 is not huge. We went with our 2 young children last year and stayed in a 2 bedroom chalet (20m2). It was sufficient for what we wanted - somewhere to eat & sleep while most days were spent on the beach. They tend to be well kitted out - fridge, hob, microwave but the construction is effectively that of a caravan - thin walls etc so be aware that conversations etc will be heard from one end of the chalet to the other.

Beds and furniture are fine and reasonably comfortable. My parents (both in their 70s) are regular visitors to such chalets, and I've never heard them complain about the beds.

Hope I don't sound too negative as we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and are planning on a return visit next year - when we'll need to go for a bigger chalet to cater for the 2 extra children we now have - just want to be honest.

Where abouts are you going to?

As Fandango says. I take it you mean a mobile home as we know them. The rooms are very small. One will have a double, one will have twin beds and the other may have a single or bunks. In addition, the living room sofa may convert to a double. They can get very warm so if aircon is an option, it may be worth considering. If everyone is easygoing, you will enjoy the experience. Incidentally, there is usually a toilet block nearby also, which can take the pressure off the bathroom, toilet. Bon Vacances. Slim

Hopefully the weather will be good as confined space and two young children don't go together. Bring along plenty of entertainment for them in case to keep them distracted from rain or whatever. Enjoy the hols :)

A couple of things to make your holiday more comfortable. We always bring our own bedclothes and where possible pillows, as the paperlike ones they provide are uncomfortable. Also in my experience the doublebed rooms don't have a lot of leg room, the (x2) single bed room in the chalet tends to be easier to move around (if your parents are elderly) but you'll see that when you get there. Also if you are shipping out on a Saturday morning to get a boat in Roscoff or Cherbourg it is worth paying for the cleaning facility the morning of departure. The first few times we cleaned it ourselves and although it only took and hour, it tended to be hot and I would end up sweating (after a shower) and a little stressed and on the lasty day of your hols you don't want this first thing in the morning.

It sounds too small based on what you've posted. The French would stay on a postage stamp. And their single beds can be half the size of a normal one etc. If you're going to be outside most of the time and it has a nice decking it will make all the difference. Bring fans or buy them in the local big supermarket. Don't forget a couple of extension leads.

@TRipley: care to share where abouts you're going to? Might be of interest to other holiday makers.
Thanks.

Back