Freezer icing up quickly

wbbs

I have an Electrolux upright freezer about 4 yrs old. It has always needed defrosting very regularly and when I had it about 2 yrs I contacted the retailer to complain about this, first serviceman arrived and advised that I tilt it back slightly (I had it level as per instruction book) to ensure door closing correctly, didn't help, complained again few months later, second serviceman asked for a hairdryer and heated the seal, said it sometimes makes it better. Sure enough it improved it a bit for a while but it is back to square one again, complained again few months ago and the shop owner said he would call and look, no sign. Before I call the serviceman again and pay for a call out to be told there is nothing wrong is there anything else I should do?

It has 5 drawers and 2 open fast freeze shelves on top, I defrosted it 6th Aug and today the ice slab at the top is maybe 2" thick at the front near the door and you can nearly see where it is growing out towards the door daily. I am sure the seal cannot be right at the top of the door? Any suggestions?

Would it be worth your while investigating getting a new seal and fitting it yourself? It used to be quite easy to order a seal and pay for it over the phone. If they're not too dear it might be worth a try.

Before you do that though if it were me I would give www.mastercare.ie a call and see if they can give you any advice. They may know what the problem might be as I have found them to be very good. They also do a lot of spare parts.

If you can pull out the freezer and inspect the back of the unit. Look towards the bottom where the motor is. There might be a build up of dust etc causing the motor to work harder and therefore "freeze" more.
Other thing is to check if the "Fast Freeze" button is on. The light indicator for this might have blown so you may not know if its on Fast Freeze or not.
While its running listen to it running and see if there are any unusual nosises. There may be gurggling but in the most part this may be normal.
If all else fails, before paying for a call out, google the symptoms and usually you'll get a few good UK based sites with tips and advice.
Hope it works out.

Thanks for suggestions, will have to do something about it, it's driving me mad!

Hi, Aldi are currently selling freezer mats. I got one and it works a treat - it basically stops the freezer from building up large deposits of ice - think they are about €4

e

Back