freeze-free Freezer - to buy or not?

suicra05

We want to buy an upright freezer. Is it worthwhile paying the extra money for a frost free model or do they give more problems later?

Last edited:
We want to buy an upright freezer. Is it worthwhile paying the extra money for a freeze free model or do they give more problems later?
I would say you would have a problem straight away with a "freeze" free freezer. You would be lucky if your food would keep for a week. Better option would be a "frost" free freezer.

I assume your talking about the Frost Free freezers. I have one for almost 7 yrs and it is still working fine. I would never to back to the days of having to defrost freezers which I had to do when in rented accommodation. I'm not aware of what problems they give taht you are talking about.

I have an upright hotpoint frost-free fridge freezer for nearly a year and it's brilliant not having to defrost it. No problems so far with it and I hope not for a long time.

The only inherent issue with a frost free freezer is during a pwer cut they may not remain frozen for as long as a regular freezer. This is simply due to the lack of ice build-up inside the freezer that takes longer to thaw when the power is lost...

If you're not in an area prone to power cuts then not having to defrost the freezer again is a definite plus point...

I was going to buy one recently but then I did a bit of research. Basically it all depends what type of food you use the freezer for, the way it remains frost free is to blow warm air through the freezer every now and then to burn off frost. This is fine for most things, however in my case I actually use the freezer for mainly goodies, cakes, desserts, cheesecakes, home made ice cream, a lot of that type of thing (there are some healthy foods in there too before anyone comments) and the regular blasts of warm air shorten the life span and quality of that type of food, I got this info from a consumer choice magazine based on their testing of different freezers. So I have decided not to buy a frost free one but for the most people I imagine they would be handier, they are slightly higher on electricity due to the heating up every now and then and have less usable space inside because of the need for increased motor size or something

Back