Fraud Alert! Caller pretending to be from Visa Card asking to verify NZ transaction

I got a call from Visa security on a bank holiday week end when the open 24 was closed, they left a number to call back, How suspicious is that? I waited until after the week end and went into the branch only to find that it was a genuine call.
how am I to know?

how am I to know?

Call them back on the published number, not the number they leave to call them back on. When I had a similar situation with Danske, and I expressed my reservations, they said "No problem, just call us back on the number listed on the card".

One amendment to the scam, which I have heard of, is that they ask you to call them back, and give you the number. When you hang up and redial, the line is still open (since they initiated the call and never hung up). So when you ask for the person, you are "put through" to them.

So the suggestion to call back on the published number is a good one.

There was a program on scams on Channel 4 last week, and the courier scam is based around this.

1)The scammer calls you pretending to be from your credit card company asking to verify some purchases which you have not made.
2) They tell you for security reasons to ring the number on the back of the card.
3) You hang up and call the number on the card.
4) They don't hang up , so you end up talking to the scammers
5) They ask you for your pin which people often them
6) They then say that as your card has been compromised they will issue you with a new card.
7) In the meantime , they will send a courier around to pick up your old card.

The scammer then goes shopping on your card and withdraws cash as he knows your pin.

Brendan

3) You hang up and call the number on the card.
4) They don't hang up , so you end up talking to the scammers
There will be no dial tone.

So only really stupid people will fall for this.

There will be no dial tone.

So only really stupid people will fall for this.

Hi Time

I don't agree at all that only really stupid people will fall for this.

The person who calls is convincing.
You panic when you hear that your card has been compromised.
You diall the number and might not notice that there is no dial tone.
Or, they might even play the sound of hanging up and a mock dial tone.

It would be very easy to get caught.

Brendan

Call them back on the published number, not the number they leave to call them back on. When I had a similar situation with Danske, and I expressed my reservations, they said "No problem, just call us back on the number listed on the card".

As I said it was a bank holiday week end and all I got was recorded messages, no replies

There will be no dial tone..

True, but consider how people use a mobile phone.
1) Unlock the keypad
2) Key in the number
3) Press green telephone symbol key

At no point, using a mobile, do you need to listen to a dial tone. However, you will not get a ringing tone either so I would cerainly be amazed if any bank answered after 0 rings!

Off topic, I had a call on my landline yesterday from SSI (Something Survey International), with an American lady saying, after I asked her, that she was ringing from the US. Out of curiosity, I agreed to take part in the survey but she immediately asked if there were any 16-24 year olds in the household she could speak to. I ended the call but am curious if it was simply sales or a genuine survey?

True, but consider how people use a mobile phone.
1) Unlock the keypad
2) Key in the number
3) Press green telephone symbol key

At no point, using a mobile, do you need to listen to a dial tone. However, you will not get a ringing tone either so I would cerainly be amazed if any bank answered after 0 rings!

This shouldn't be a problem anyway. If you hang up on a mobile phone, the connection gets killed. The other side won't be able to "keep the line open".

Very irritating that this is still a problem with landlines in UK (and apparently Ireland). I have not heard about this before so this seems to be a very specific issue with how the telco's here implemented the call management protocols.
Disturbing to say the least that this is still not fixed - not sure if this is a hangover of analog exchanges or really just "sloppy" implementation of the SS7 stack.

This shouldn't be a problem anyway. If you hang up on a mobile phone, the connection gets killed. The other side won't be able to "keep the line open".

Spot on.

Another thing everyone should be aware of is the bank never, ever ask for your PIN, and their literature generally states ans much and warns against giving it to anyone. They also never ask for you to send your card back, they will tell you to destroy it.

Got a call this morning on my mobile from AIB Visa asking me about some transactions on my card. Straight up she asked me to confirm some details to identify myself.

Remembering this thread, I told her that I would not deal with her and she asked me to ring the number on the back of my card. Which I did from my landline.

I think that they are wrong to ask for any details over the phone. They should simply tell the person that there is a query and ask them to ring back the number on the back of the card.

The call was genuine, but if I get a scam call at some other stage, my guard could well be down as a result of getting the genuine call earlier.

Got a call this morning on my mobile from AIB Visa asking me about some transactions on my card. Straight up she asked me to confirm some details to identify myself.

Remembering this thread, I told her that I would not deal with her and she asked me to ring the number on the back of my card. Which I did from my landline.

I think that they are wrong to ask for any details over the phone. They should simply tell the person that there is a query and ask them to ring back the number on the back of the card.

The call was genuine, but if I get a scam call at some other stage, my guard could well be down as a result of getting the genuine call earlier.

I've had similar experiences via phone and email. When BOI relaunched 365online, you got an email directing you to log in to the new site, something they insist they never do, yet this was a genuine email.

It's hardly surprising people fall for the scams when it seems to be actual banking practice.

re the dial tone, in an article I read on this it seems the scammers play a dial tone on the open line, so it seems that it is quite easy to get fooled by this

I got a call to my mobile on June 2nd bank holiday Monday with a message for me to ring UB fraud dept on +448453512298, I rang their 24 hour Irish line to be told the line had a fault and to go on line for assistance so I checked with a guy who told me it was a genuine number and gave me a second number if I wasnt happy to use that one. Mobile ringing again same number I didnt answer. What I would have given to speak to a person instead of pressing buttons.

I rang the UK number and eventually got sorted my debit card had been used abroad, was cancelled, money refunded to my account and new card received, great end of hassle.

Yesterday missed call on mobile same UK number telling me to call them which I did and was asked for my card number which I refused to give and told them I would contact my bank today.

Rang this morning and the young man told me there had been a problem on 2nd June but since then things looked normal so he would contact the UK fraud dept and I was put on hold. He came back after about 7 minutes to apologise and said he was on hold to the UK. I asked could he ring me back he said he could'nt so 25 mins later he told me it was not the UB fraud Dept who rang me but I pointed out it was the same number as the previous alert and was told dont give any details on the phone and if they ring again to ring UB 24 hr line which was not available on 2nd June.

Very frustrating and worrying as to what is going on.

Back