france camping 1st timer

Hi Tom3,
Your kids same age as mine so would love to get name of that site from you and any other info would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Daddy- Karly.

Le Lac Des Reves is the name of the campsite.It is on the outskirts of a town called Lattes, about 15 mins drive from Montpellier. If you google Le Lac Des Reves you should be able to access the website. We found the staff to be friendly, most of them speak some english. The kids clubs are run by english and french speaking staff. Our two kids totally loved the club, did not want to come home! Clubs are very safe as well, kids have to be signed in and out. Generally i find it helps if you make an effort to speak a little French, merci, bonjour etc, you dont have to be fluent, after all its their country. This year we are flying Dublin to Rodez, will hire a car and its about 2 hour drive to camp. Last year we flew to Gerona and drove across the Pyrenees, beautiful scenery.The camp itself is a mixture of tourists and French residents, so their is a relaxed atmosphere. The weather was beautiful, around 30 degrees.

Would appreciate any suggestions or hints and of course would like to get best value for money.
I would suggest that you get a Keycamp brochure or similar to help you decide (plus read online reviews of sites you like the look of). Book it yourself, direct. Drive your own car.

We're heading back to France for our 6th year in a row. We always take the car - Brittany Ferries is better than Irish Ferries for food on board, but Rosslare is much closer. And we used our Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay for the ferry, so that was a pretty easy choice this year!

We normally stay in apartments - Pierre et Vacances or Belambra would be our chosen operators, but this year are using the rest of the Tesco vouchers to pay for a stay in Le Bois Masson in St. Jean de Monts. This park is owned by Siblu & is about a 5 hour drive from Roscoff or Cherbourg.

My parents stay in La Pointe St. Gilles campsite in Benodet every year & absolutely love it. It's a short drive from Roscoff and close to Quimper, Carnac, Concarneau, Lorient etc.

i've priced up some different campsites around the sth of France and in Spain... for 2 + 2 with flights for 14 nights...it's coming in at around E2100, does this seem OK for canvas/keycamps??

i've priced up some different campsites around the sth of France and in Spain... for 2 + 2 with flights for 14 nights...it's coming in at around E2100, does this seem OK for canvas/keycamps??
The date you are planning to go makes a huge difference. Price the accommodation direct with the campsite and ferries/flts direct with companies and you will save at any time of year. Slim

Hi,
Going to give the site suggested a go in June.The thing is i can get mobile for under 1k for 2 weeks but flights to Nimes,Montpellier and Casserone are very expensive.I have tried going via uk and they still catch you.Any suggest another route to Languedoc region(driving just too far with ferry)

Tried Rodez aswell.I have managed to get good price flight dublin-Gerona via uk.So a site around Languedoc seems to be the shot to play.The thing is that every time i find what seems a good site for Kids there are great reviews on tripadvisor but then there are really crap ones aswell.I know you will always get whingers etc. but makes me nervous as its our first time going to France.
Has anyone first hand experience of a site(kids club very important)or any other hints or advice appreciated?

Went twice, first time fly-drive, into Carcasonne and a capsite near Valras Plage (forget the exact name), just below Beziers. Lovely site, went Keycamp so a bit dearer. Best to book direct. Found the Ryanair luggage weight thing a pain.

With kids I definitely think you need a car (muesli & sandals in the bin ;)).

2nd time went with caravan via UK to St. Jean de Monts. went in June so was a bit quiet (smallies not in school), would go July or later anymore (especially if bringing own accomodation the rate increase is nothing much). Great holiday, but a long haul driving. This year Cornwall !

Have gone off the idea of flying as now 2 small kids, so much hassle & when you add in car hire & accomodation the road option starts to get competitive.

Would love to get a reasoable ferry with caravan from Cork or Rosslare to France but consistently get quotes of about €1,800 which I think is OTT.

If I was you I'd bring your car on the ferry, book your own campsite, do 1 hard day's driving and get down a bit south for the sun. & last tip, stock up on food before you get on the motorway, selection is apalling in the motorway shops.

Celtic Link Ferries - just booked return €930.00 in July out and back - window cabin for
six people. Rosslare to Cherbourg. Travelling out mid week and returning on a Friday.

Back