France by car 2006.

I think that some of the Kelair (Campotel) mobiles may have a fan included - maybe it's just the Holiday Homes. Check with them.

Hi Roscommon

We spent some time in Marenne 2 years ago. It's a lovely area. The zoo at La Palmyre is excellent and La Rochelle Aquarium wortha day out as Michaelm says. I have never seen fans for hire at the campsites and in August you would be lucky to get one anyway. It will be hot in August but you may get some thunderstorms or showers which will cool it down.

If you like wine, there is a very good wineshop on the road into Marennes from the McDonalds restaurant. The proprietor lived in Ireland and has excellent English. Wine €1.50 a litre. yum! We stayed out at Ronce le Bains, nice little seaside village near Marenne. There was a funfair there permanently and a few nice restaurants. Great forests along the coast behind the beaches, sea very rough, and lots of cycle trails. Near MArennes are the canals the fishermen use, lots of oyster/mussel shacks and restaurants.

You will enjoy the area.

Slim

Michael M, Omega & Slim,

Thanks for all the info. Still very unsure about the campsite and area we booked, only came on the campsite review website after we had booked our holiday. Past holidaymakers had said on the website that there was no decent beaches nearby and you would have to travel 30 minutes in a car to find a decent beach! They also ran down the restaurant and takeaway on site saying they had to queue for a hour each evening to get a takeaway. I would really consider cancelling the accomodation and losing our deposit if it was a thing this campsite was really as bad as the reviews I read. I have flights booked into La Rochelle and a car booked so I would have to book alternative accomdation for our holiday. Really feel that I booked our holiday this year on a impulse note and did not do my homework on the campsite and area first. Any thoughts on this campsite or alternative accomodation would be much appreciated.

Roscommon

Past holidaymakers had said on the website that there was no decent beaches nearby and you would have to travel 30 minutes in a car to find a decent beach! They also ran down the restaurant and takeaway on site saying they had to queue for a hour each evening to get a takeaway.
There are some nice beaches on [SIZE=-1]Ile d’Oléron (20-30 mins drive, but a nice drive). We used the takeaway maybe once, it was standard, but in general we pretty much self-catered. The site does have good facilities, I thought it was ok over all. I had read some negative reviews but from my experience I'd write a neutral review. My wife and kids thought it was a good site.[/SIZE]

michael m

Just got an email from Ryanair informing me that our flights have been deferred by 3 hours and if we want they will refund or get us a credit transfer. Its definately like a sign? We would have the option of flying Shannon - Nantes (avoiding the stress of early morning Dublin Airport), have you been to a good campsite in the St Jean de Mont or surrounding areas. I just feel that Sequoia Parc might be a little secluded as we enjoy going out for dinner with a glass of wine? We have been to France before but stayed in cities, this is the first time we have gone for the camping site option.

Thanks for the help
Roscommon

Roscommon, your kids may not be interested in the beach. I love the beach but couldn't get kids, same ages as yours, out of the pool.

Back