France by car 2006.

BOXtheFOX

I am thinking of taking the car to France next summer. I am still not sure if it is better to travel Rosslare/Pembroke then UK to France or Rosslare/Cherbourg/Roscoff or fly drive. I would welcome advice from those who did any of the above in 2005.

Landbridge via the UK is cheaper but a lot of driving is involved and you may have to consider an overnight stay if you don't get timely connections.
Fly/drive may be cheaper than the direct ferry but you don't have your own car.
If you get the direct ferry and you're a wine drinker, you can bring back lots of vino and make the trip reasonably economical that way. That's what I always do.....:D

Fly drive - did it this summer to Biarritz.
Ryanair flights 99c + tax

2 weeks car hire Peugeot 307 €343

A lot cheaper than the ferry especially if June/July/August.

if going by ferry go cork roscoff with britinay ferries NOT Irish ferries, hours in the difference in journey also class of boat, bunks etc.

Most people are suggesting Cork/Roscoff with Britanny Ferries rather than Rosslare/Roscoff with Irish Ferries. For me driving to Rosslare from Dublin is much easier than driving to Cork. Are Irish Ferries really that bad? Can anyone give a balanced comparison?

I've done the landbridge to France twice (used the tunnel) and direct from Cork (Brittany Ferries) once. I have never done the Fly/Drive but I think at this stage (prices/extra mileage on car, speed of travel, etc) it might be the best option.

I used the landbridge when I was travelling down the South East of France and into Italy, I used the Cork/Roscoff route for the West coast. I would have a concern with booking Irish Ferries at the moment becuase of the IR problems there or what might lay ahead. If you need to bring a lot of extra stuff, buggies, travel cot, bikes, etc then the car might be your best option otherwise as the fly/drive might be best.

The big downfall with the boat is travel time (driving and sailing) and the cost €1,400.00 two years ago for 4 of us.

BOXtheFOX said:
Most people are suggesting Cork/Roscoff with Britanny Ferries rather than Rosslare/Roscoff with Irish Ferries. For me driving to Rosslare from Dublin is much easier than driving to Cork. Are Irish Ferries really that bad? Can anyone give a balanced comparison?

No, they're not THAT bad. This has been my experience:
1. Brittany ferries have a newer/better ship on the route but the IF ship, while needing a major facelist, is seaworthy and acceptable overall.
2. IF sails to France every second day, which gives lots of flexibility, whereas BF sails one a week in each direction. If there's a problem (as in 2004), you'll have to go back via the UK, whereas IF may be able to get you on their next sailing.
3. IF arrives in Roscoff at 11.00 and sails out at 19.00; BF arrive at 7.00 on Sunday and leave at 22.00 on Friday. Depending on where you're going, one might suit better.
4. That's it really. I always go with IF, even though Cork is nearer to me than Rosslare. Notwithstanding the current IR issues at IF, I also prefer to support an Irish company, rather than a subsidised French one.

BOXtheFOX said:
I've been on both ferries and much prefer the Brittany Ferries boat over the Irish Ferries boat (which is a rust bucket). The BF boat is cleaner, has better facilities and does the trip in less time. It does get in early (07:30 CET) on a Sunday, there's not much open in France on a Sunday, and many campsites (assuming you're going to stay on a campsite) want you to arrive after 15:00 so if you're not driving far you'll have a few hours to kill and likewise on the way back as the ferry doesn't leave until 22:00. If you are going a good distance then it’s perfect. Given the current IF boat, the HR problems and the issues they had loading/unloading at the French ports during the summer (which i witnessed, luckily from an unhindered BF boat) I would not dream of using IF for the French crossing.

BOXtheFOX, fly-drive could very well be your smartest option, especially if you're travelling with young kids. When/where were you thinking of going, and for how long?

All useful and helpful suggestions. I am thinking of mid May during the low cost price band. Just myself and my wife. Heading toward Quimper area of Brittany. Also thinkng about cabins and stuff vis a viz the reclining pullman seat for the crossing as against a cabin. Any thoughts? Do they have to be booked early/comfort etc. I am not too keen to sleep on an inside cabin or bunkbed. I will probably stay in hotels in France. I have researched sites like www.francehotelnetwork.com and www.logis-de-france.fr and can get nice hotels for about €80 per room to include breakfast. The ferries are charging €98 for a box room without breakfast a bit pricey. Finally checked Aer Arann flights to Lorient also a bit pricey if you have to add on the cost of car hire. I am leaning toward Cork Roscoff with pullman seat and then booking two different hotels for 3/4 night stays independently.

Better book a cabin than a seat unless you don't mind not sleeping throught the night. A lot of youth are booking the seats so you don't get much rest. Done it one year, I won't never do it again.

"Better book a cabin than a seat unless you don't mind not sleeping throught the night"

Is it also still an important point to book the best level that the cabin is on. Many moons ago booked one too near the engines and the heat was dreadful.

Interesting point Sueellen. Is it possible to choose the floor level and location of cabin when booking or is it pot luck? What is the best location on the ship excluding the upper decks.

Hi,

I see Brittany Ferries have this explanation on cabins but it does not appear to mention anything about cabin levels. It was back in the 80s when we travelled so things should have changed a lot since then :confused:

I travelled to France with Irish Ferries about three years ago and then last year with Brittany Ferries. I would not ever consider going again with Irish Ferries. The ship was rusty, rundown, food inedible, one engine broke down and it took 24 hours to get there, surprise surprise, engine not fixed for the return journey, so again it was like a slow boat to China. And the pullman seats, (we did not book a cabin) was like a dungeon. No Way!!!

Brittany Ferries were much better, although many of us were very very seasick on the way back, which I was surprised at, given the size of the boat.

Do not even consider going with Irish Ferries.

The cabin number indicates the deck number . For example the cabin with number 512 would be on deck 5 , the cabin with number 613 would be on deck 6 and so on . I had a similar experience as MandaC , never again .

I'm an old hand at ferry crossings now. I've gone on Irish Ferries umpteen times and on Brittany ferries less often. Brittany is much nicer- nice food, nice staff, clean and new. Comparing them is like comparing a hostel to a hotel. Both will do the same job, but one is just nicer. Brittany of course is much nearer to me, but as we mainly travel off-season, we usually have no choice except to go on Irish Ferries.

Sue Ellen is right about the cabin- the higher up you go, the better, and you CAN choose which floor you want, whether you want a window or not etc. I would never go without a cabin, and nowadays always go for a high cabin with window.

If you go on Irish Ferries, bring your own food, the food is appalling and expensive. If you go on Brittany Ferries theres no need, the food is great and good value.

Both of them offer entertainment- cinema, depending on the season there may well be a cabaret act in the main bar. Fun for all the family.

If I had a choice I'd go with Brittany Ferries, but not having that option wouldnt put me off Irish Ferries, as long as I had a cabin and my own food.

BOXtheFOX said:
Is it possible to choose the floor level and location of cabin when booking or is it pot luck?
If you just book an outside cabin, it will have a window and as such will be on one of the upper decks. I suppose a cabin that's midships would be better if you're concerned about sea sickness as there should be less pitch and roll.

Great stuff. It looks like a cabin on the upper deck with window and travelling by Brittany Ferries. Now, how about accommodation. I am heading toward Quimper. I am drawn to staying in a hotel for 5 nights but I have been waylaid by a couple of the mobile home sites that look pretty good. Any thoughts or recommendations on areas near Quimper?
Travelling in May, two adults, no kids.

Back