Fr Sean Sheehy

jasdpace@gmail.

I'm not sure what to think!

I never heard of the man until a day or two ago. He seems like a bit of a nutter intent on enjoying his Andy Warhol moments. I listened to him on Liveline yesterday and here’s my rough and ready of his comments – some of which may not make a whole lot of sense if you didn’t hear Liveline. [And arguably, some points may not make a whole lot of sense if you had!]

1. Much, but not all, of what he said is consistent with Catholic teaching. It’s just that official teaching is “better” at conveying the “love the sinner but not the sin" message.

2. In some ways, it's strange that the Catholic hierarchy seems to have completely distanced itself from all his comments? [Must be scope for a good journalist to develop]

3. At a personal level, Fr. Sean does seem to suffer a severe lack of empathy and have extremely undeveloped listening skills. Mind you, if This post will be deleted if not edited immediately was alive, he, too, would be seen by many as a right pain.

4. In spite of his claims to be a martyr to the official teaching, he seems to be flat wrong on a number of points, including:
- The Church’s teaching does change, e.g. Vatican councils, Limbo, etc.
- If the Church’s teaching did not evolve, why would you have the concept of the « Pope’s infallibility » ?
- Priestly celibacy was not obligatory in the early centuries of the church
- The official teaching of the Church does not forbid transgender surgery

5. When some of his thinking errors were pointed out (in his discussion with the US theologian), rather than pause to reflect and consider what was being said, he seemed to double-down on his tendency to demand of the other to « hold on a minute » in some desperate attempt to demonstrate his own infallibility. Is this the classic tell-tale of a bigot ?

6. He may be right that « plebiscites », in whatever form, are, to a large part, the function of the uniformed – look at the electoral success of Truss, Bojo, Brexit, Trump, etc. [Poor oul Joe didn’t like this at all – perhaps because his listenership is not the most informed cohort on the planet?]

7. It is true that the media plays a part in social discourse. Prior to the media’s involvement, there was no real debate – the Church’s position was unchallenged.
So, whilst it can be said that many who vote are not particularly well-informed, they would be even less well informed if it wasn’t for the work of the media and the referendum commission, etc.

8. Fr. Sean seemed to associate the mindless people who voted as those who voted in a « liberal » way. Of course, it could reasonably be argued that many of the « mindless » people actually voted on the traditional side (blindly following whatever « love the sinner but not the sin » message the Church was then disseminating) and that many who voted against the traditional position, did so after informing themselves and grappling with their consciences, etc.

9. The above points seem too nuanced given Fr. Sean’s absolute views on things. In the cut and thrust that is Liveline, he may even have out-pointed poor oul Joe.

10. All in all, it’s an amazing snapshot of the extent Ireland has changed when views, that were once considered mainstream, are now broadly considered as somewhat ridiculous.

11. I’m left unsure of this man’s motivation. I’m curious about what really goes inside his head/heart? Does he really believe he is doing good? Does he really believe he is going about things the right way? Or is it some form of demented last throw of the dice?

Thoughts?!

He may be right that « plebiscites », in whatever form, are, to a large part, the function of the uniformed
You mean like Gardai, nurses, members of the defence forces?

But seriously, he’s just as entitled to his extreme opinions as anyone else. He’s delighted no doubt with the exposure he’s getting.

I think Varadkar got it right when he said that while he profoundly disagreed Ethel man, he respected his right to free speech.

Thoughts?!
He's correctly articulating the teachings of the Bronze Age Cult of which he's a member. He's absolutely correct in everything he says in relation to the Bible and it's teachings. What I find hard to understand is why is anyone in said Cult anymore.

I also find it hard to understand why people get so bothered about things that don't effect them. Who adults choose to love, what adults get up to in the bedroom, what toilets people use. Why does it matter?

You mean like Gardai, nurses, members of the defence forces?

But seriously, he’s just as entitled to his extreme opinions as anyone else. He’s delighted no doubt with the exposure he’s getting.

I think Varadkar got it right when he said that while he profoundly disagreed Ethel man, he respected his right to free speech.
Kind of embarrassing when you pick someone up for a typo and then make one yourself. But we've all bean there ;)

Good morning Purple,

He's absolutely correct in everything he says in relation to the Bible and it's teachings.

I went to the trouble of listing a number of errors (see point 4) that the bold Padre made. You do realise that you have upset me grievously as the corollary of him being absolutely correct is that I'm talking manure. And that hurts ;) [Maybe you didn't mean to cause offence, maybe that you didn't "hear" what I said but, if this be true, then you potentially have similar listening skills to the subject of this thread.]

What I find hard to understand is why is anyone in said Cult anymore.

Now that's just silly. It's a function of the degree of indoctrination. Man from the bog and all that.

Kind of embarrassing when you pick someone up for a typo and then make one yourself. But we've all bean there ;)

Ok - you're forgiven. Is there a difference between a clear typo and simply not knowing? [In #3, your use of "it's" and "effect" are in line with some of Fr. Sean's understanding of the Church's doctrine :cool::D]

God bless you my child........go and sin/spell incorrectly no more.

Good morning Purple,

I went to the trouble of listing a number of errors (see point 4) that the bold Padre made. You do realise that you have upset me grievously as the corollary of him being absolutely correct is that I'm talking manure. And that hurts ;) [Maybe you didn't mean to cause offence, maybe that you didn't "hear" what I said but, if this be true, then you potentially have similar listening skills to the subject of this thread.]
His points relating to the Church's teachings on homosexuality are 100% correct.
He said that transgenderism was "Lunatic". He didn't expressly say it was against Catholic Teaching.
As for Catholic teaching not changing, that's a difficult one. On matters for doctrine they don't change. Priests marrying, Limbo etc and not doctrinal matters. What has never changed is their position that homosexual acts and sex outside marriage is a sin and sex within marriage for any reason other than procreation is a sin.

Oh, and I'm very sorry that I upset you, console yourself with the fact that my opinions aren't worth much. ;)
Now that's just silly. It's a function of the degree of indoctrination. Man from the bog and all that.
Sure, but the fairy stories and hocus-pocus and magic man in the sky stuff... that's the bit that just seems like nonsense to me. The bigotry and intolerance and misogyny and lack of humanity and compassion that go with it are also nasty but the whole founding story is just silly.

Ok - you're forgiven.
Thank you. That comes as a great relief to me and my family.
Is there a difference between a clear typo and simply not knowing?
Yes, but I'm dyslexic so I blame spellcheck.
[In #3, your use of "it's" and "effect" are in line with some of Fr. Sean's understanding of the Church's doctrine :cool::D]
That's a low blow...
God bless you my child........go and sin/spell incorrectly no more.
I'll have you know that I intend to do both with impunity.

On a serious note Mr Sheedy's comments are, in my experience, in line with Catholic views in the USA where he spent much of his working life. I have family all over America and the Catholic ones are mainly very conservative.
The former Bishop of St. Louis, Cardinal Burke, was a strong Trump supporter and Catholics voted for Trump over Clinton. In 2004 the then Archbishop Burke said that he would refuse communion to John Kerry and other Catholic politicians who supported legal abortion. The RC Church in Ireland is generally liberal and ignored Christian teaching on homosexuality but internationally it's conservative and in America, where it gets most of its funding, it is very conservative.

On one level I agree with the man in that many politicians belong in hell - but not for their sexuality!!

Hey Purple,

I was going to ignore this thread - at least, I was trying to but, well, whilst the flesh is willing, the mind is weak.

For the record, I don't agree with everything you've said. No matter.

Some points I would like to explore.........

and sex within marriage for any reason other than procreation is a sin.

This is a good one alright. I know I'm asking you to get into the weeds about stuff that you really may not be that interested in but......

1. Do you have any official source for this.......[by official, I don't mean, some American Q&A Christian site where Father Michael will tell you want is and is not allowed under the duvet]?

2. How does the Church square this with its Natural Family Planning teaching*? [i.e. isn't the intent of NFP practices to avoid procreation?!]

3. How come the previous Pope said it was ok for a married man, with AIDS, to wear a condom?

*known in my day as the "isteach, amach, isteach, amach, amach, amach" teaching

Yes, but I'm dyslexic

Serious question. Have/do you use any tools/skills/techniques to help with your dyslexia? [I know a very recently diagnosed adult "dyslexic" who was told (during her assessment) that there are "tools" available to help manage its effects ;)] The type of help referenced was in connection with managing the fatigue that certain tasks engender for dyslexics? Does this make sense?

1. Do you have any official source for this.......[by official, I don't mean, some American Q&A Christian site where Father Michael will tell you want is and is not allowed under the duvet]?
My understanding is that sex for personal gratification is a sin. So, if you are married but selfish in your intention when having sex then it's a sin. That said the RC Church has quite an a le carte relationship with the Bible and ignores it's teachings on things like slavery and how to punish people for many "crimes".
2. How does the Church square this with its Natural Family Planning teaching*? [i.e. isn't the intent of NFP practices to avoid procreation?!]
No idea. They ignore evolution in the context of the bible's creation stories. In fact they ignore the two conflicting creation stories in the bible.
3. How come the previous Pope said it was ok for a married man, with AIDS, to wear a condom?
I dunno.
Serious question. Have/do you use any tools/skills/techniques to help with your dyslexia? [I know a very recently diagnosed adult "dyslexic" who was told (during her assessment) that there are "tools" available to help manage its effects ;)] The type of help referenced was in connection with managing the fatigue that certain tasks engender for dyslexics? Does this make sense?
I was diagnosed as an adult but I haven't really needed/bothered to engage with my diagnosis. I do refer to myself as disabled and a cripple (I love the word cripple) and sometimes tell my children that I should be able to park in spots for disabled people but other than that I just use it as an excuse for my many errors when writing.

I'll pass, at least for now, on making further comments on the Church's teaching.

Re the dyslexia, I'll try find out more but the gist of what I understand is that the brain typically develops ways of coping with/masking the dyslexia when faced with specific tasks (e.g. where short-term memory is required) but that there are less tiring ways for the brain to manage such situations.

It's the poor childers that I feel sorry for......

I was at mass on Sunday, seemingly, according to the first reading, if I have a bacon sandwich, I'm going to hell (I am summarising and paraphrasing slightly here but that was the gist of it).

I always think when it comes to the bible, that Jed Bartlett's rant summarises a lot
I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleaned the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?
My chief of staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police?"
Here's one that's really important cause we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7 If they promise to wear gloves can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point?
Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother, John, for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads?
Think about those questions, would you?

I can't take Sheehy seriously, aside from his rantings I can't ignore the fact that he gave a character reference to a rapist. Like most Catholic's, I don't follow everything the church or bible says, that's not faith, that's brainwashing and I firmly believe it is the moral responsibility of anyone who practises a faith to be prepared to challenge their belief systems. Most Catholics were appalled with what Sheehy said, not all I have to admit but I've yet to meet one who was prepared to say they agreed with him and it was interesting how the sermon on Sunday at the mass I was at focussed on love and not hate. From what I've heard, that was the message in many churches. Even my 90 year old mother said Sheehy was talking b...ix

Interesting as well to hear a senior Jesuit coming out and condeming Sheehy

As for fairy stories, man in the sky etc etc. Is it any more far fetched then the entire Universe being condensed into a ball the size of a basketball and time not existing? :)

I'll pass, at least for now, on making further comments on the Church's teaching.
Yes, I'm not qualified in that area either. I used to be but the more I looked the less I liked it and I eventually concluded that it was an offshoot of a bronze age cult that would have been better off left in the bronze age.
Re the dyslexia, I'll try find out more but the gist of what I understand is that the brain typically develops ways of coping with/masking the dyslexia when faced with specific tasks (e.g. where short-term memory is required) but that there are less tiring ways for the brain to manage such situations.
My memory is appallingly bad. For example I am terrible at remembering people's names.
It's the poor childers that I feel sorry for......
Yes, it was hard being a child with dyslexia, particularly in Primary school where the diagnosis was that I was lazy and stupid and the "treatment" was to beat the living daylights out of me.
It probably explains many of my insecurities and multiple character flaws :D

As for fairy stories, man in the sky etc etc. Is it any more far fetched then the entire Universe being condensed into a ball the size of a basketball and time not existing? :)
The big bang story may be even more far fetched, however the distance of the fetch is not the question.

The question is what evidence is there to support the story. On that the big bang comes out ahead.

The big bang story may be even more far fetched, however the distance of the fetch is not the question.

The question is what evidence is there to support the story. On that the big bang comes out ahead.
And if compelling evidence for a different theory is presented then people who accept science will change their mind about the big bang... without killing anyone.

Theory is not supposition

"scientific theory
[ sahy-uhn-tif-ik theer-ee, thee-uh-ree ]SHOW IPA

noun
a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation:the scientific theory of evolution"

American surveys suggest that the vast majority of its population live in Mortal Sin. Either by doing bold things outside marriage or inside marriage. Very few are in any other Mortal Sin. So I can understand why certain groups might complain why they are singled out in public. But they can't complain that the Catholic Church is discriminate in its condemnation to Hell Fire,

Back