Foundation sizes depth and width

edenjohnny

Hi I am about to build a kitchen extension, with 6 " solid blocks, and internal stud walls. Single storey, with loadsm of glass. The walls will only be 4ft high, with a sloping/ flat roof. The reason I am using 6" blocks is that I have them left over from another job. What dimensions would I nedd for the footings/ foundations. The ground is very hard clay, and the size is 12ft x 16ft. thanks. edenjohnny.

Foundation Width = min (3 * wall tickness)
Bottom of foundation = min 600mm below ground level
Foundation Tickness = min 300mm

These a MIN values. Site and loading conditions may dictate greater dimensions.

Thanks for that bacchus, thats exactly what I will do. Can you tell me how I can step the foundations, to save me digging very deep at on end?

edenjohnny,

you really should be getting your foundations signed off by an engineer, if not you may have trouble is you need to sell in years to come.

Hi sidthebeat, I bought the cottage last October. it needed piles of work, which is now finished So therefore so is my cash. The current kitchen is an extension (12 x12) which is too small . I want to build out further and down 2 steps and use the old kitchen as a dining room. I am doing the work myself and have no engineer, Anyway they wouldnt allowe 6" single blocks would they. Isnt there a rule that states you can build up to 10% without planning? Or am I on the wrong track. This "project" is in the areshole of nowhere down a 500 yd private drive off a very minor country road.

im just pointing out that should you need to sell the cottage in a few years, it MAY be an issue that you havent the foundations certified. I have seen sales fall through because of similar issues.

Yes syd, I fully understand, but when I bought the cottage the value of the property was in the beautiful land circa 20 acres and farm buildings now renobvated into post and rail paddocks with 15 new stables built. I intend to stay here until i,m 70 and thats 10 years away. lol

Thanks for that vote of longevity Syd, I am currently running a stud farm breding a few, selling a few, and maybe take in injured/ resting racehorses. In 10 years time I wont want to . Therefore I will sell up the lot and retire to less land. (maybe even make a small profit ) lol edenjohnny

with extensions it is always best to tie into the existing foundations of the building which may be lower than the above. You can tie them into each other by drilling holes in the existing and grouting in steel bars with chemical grout that will extend into the new foundations. This will help prevent movement.

Have to agree with Sid on the engineer. you will need it if you go to sell. Even if its not you someone will.

get a price 1st edenjohnny, i used to get engineers sign off on extension builds when I was in that game. if he's decent and looking for work, he won't do you and you should be okay with 3 visits, pre-during and post concrete pour visits. You might get him at 2-350 per visit, hopefully not much more. What you're paying for mainly is his indemnity insurance. As a pro engineer, if you or any future owner has an issue, he'll have certified all is well, so if claims ensued, you'd have some grounds to pass this on or get sorted. You'll need some steel in the founds too, i think its called 303, go into a local builders providers and they'll tell you what you need. Won't cost much but you'll have a much better job.

the other posters are 100%, you must have a pro engineer sign off if you ever sell on. What is also important is that if you ever look to release equity either, you'll need it then too. Banks won't loan money on a property if there's any question (merited or otherwise) about the build, particularly something as fundamantal and impossible to examine as the founds. best of luck, sounds nice where you are!

Thank you all for your concerns. but 3 visits at 250n a visit is going to play sh..t with my budget, When I bought the place nobody asked for any documentation re footings/founds on the existing extension. Which was obviously built later as it was a flat roof with smoth rendering as opposed to rough cast .The whole cottage was a land commission one , built of mass concrete with no D P C now installed via drills and solution. regards E J

in most cases it wont be looked for unless a planning permission shows up in a legal search or the purchaser raises it with their solicitor before purchasing.

Back