Fostering HSE

Ttree

hi anyone ever done any fostering ? i am really interested in becoming a foster parent, and would like to here from anyone who has already done this. ttree

Hi,well done.I have been through the fostering process.i went through the delgany hse.I had to go to a meeting like an introduction meeting and heard a lot of sad stories about the kids that need homes.and then had a meeting after i filled out forms but i was denied because i dont have a partner or husband :( and because im living in a 3 bed house with 2 children that a 4th bedroom would be needed even tho the 3rd room is free.
I was told that if my circumstances change to call them up again and inform them.Good luck if get a child.there are a lot that need good homes.

thanks for your reply. i too have been to a meeting last november, then in april a social worker called to house, i have since got garda clearence, and am waiting to be asigned a social worker.its seems forever. i am seperated also they said thats not a problem. id like to do it now while i have some life in me!!! ttree

hi,we have been fostering for about eight years now.getting startedcan take a while as you are realising.its hard work, challenging but on a personal level there is a huge amount of joy out of it as well.it can take a long time for the phone to ring with a placement but once you start it does become easier,i wish you well and let us know how you get on.

hi thanks for reply. how did your children take to new children coming and going?. Whats the longest and shortest time a child has been placed in your home? my friend has started fostering in the meath area and so far has had two short placements. Ttree

Ttree.. my parents fostered for most of my life.. and we got used to children coming (usually without much warning) & going (sad though we were sometimes).. but then we lived in a very 'open house' anyway.. friends and neighbours in and out all the time

placement lengths? we had everything from 10days to 20 years (+ counting!) :)

my kids reacted more to the children leaving than coming sometimes that was with sadness other times with joy!!!!!!!! the shortest time was a few months the longest a couple of years.the one thing i would say is that you dont always have to say yes,if in doubt do without.i learned that lesson the hard way.good you have a friend who is also doing fostering a support for each other.

Ii i just got word i have place on training course for fostering in park house at weekend ,,, anyone ever done one would love to hear thanks

Back