fortune tellers/psychics

Having an open mind and sanity/reality checking things against the models and evidence available are not mutually exclusive. Some people's minds are so open that they will believe in any old rubbish regardless of the evidence.

I guess this is a case of agreeing to disagree.

Personally I disagree with most legislation designed to protect grown adults from their own stupidity, greed, gullibility etc. Obviously minors are a different matter and I never made reference to any of the sorts of things that you mention above so I'm not sure what prompted you to go off on that tangential rant. Ultimately I believe that grown adults should be allowed to do whatever they choose as long as it does not harm the person or property of other non consenting individuals. It may harm themselves but that is their choice. However I realise that we live in a society that does not generally hold the same views as me so I accept the laws that have been enacted that may circumscribe such freedoms and work to change those that I feel are objectionable.

Sorry if you didnt' like my post but I think what I wrote wasn't tangential at all. Children occupy the same space as all of us and thus are most vulnerable to the unregulated psychic hotline advertising. How many parents have had premium phone lines (psychic or otherwise) called without permission by curious children at home ?

How was it a rant ? You asked 'Why introduce legislation to protect 'people' from their own gullibility/stupidity?' and I explained why I feel its necessary. Its' because children are 'people' too and can be our most vulnerable and gullible.
The tobacco/gambling reference was merely a reference point because those issues have already been regulated.

It was tangential in that it was a total non sequitur to what I posted.

It wasn't 100% (total?) non sequitur nor was it intended not to be bound by any previous posts. I was addressing the whole audience within the main issue and wasn't just replying to only one previous posters' point. And just to further clarify matters, the post which started this was'nt intended as any form of accusation.

Agree 100% with this too.

Astrology is absolute nonsense.

How can the same reading apply to 1/12th of the worlds population at the same time. Tripe.

This is a common misconception about Astrology, in fact it is not just your sun sign taken into account but your moon sign, ascendant and planets in various other houses at the time of birth, so an individuals chart would only match up with a tiny fraction of the population, where you are born also makes some impact.

However - on the side of skeptism - I would be inclined to ask:
How come identical twins born at the same time in the same place dont have exactly the same important events happen on exactly the same dates in their lives?

Last edited:
One often used purpose of astrology/superstition, if one is so disposed, is to make use of one of Schopenhauer's rules.

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860) was a philosopher and also it seems was a bit of a chancer. He wrote “38 Ways to Win an Argument" which details all the unfair, cheatin', and downright mean tactics which can be employed to win an argument even when truth is not on your side.

Rule#32
A quick way of getting rid of an opponent's assertion, or of throwing suspicion on it, is by putting it into some odious category.
A good odious category is "superstition".

However - on the side of skeptism - I would be inclined to ask:
How come identical twins born at the same time in the same place dont have exactly the same important events happen on exactly the same dates in their lives?
Because there is no independent, objective evidence of any note supporting any claims that astrology "works" perhaps?

A quick way of getting rid of an opponent's assertion, or of throwing suspicion on it, is by putting it into some odious category.
A good odious category is "superstition".
A quicker way is to look at the available evidence supporting claims of efficacy and then draw conclusions...

OP, you should ask yourself, if these people genuinely have some special gift how come they're not fabulously wealthy and famous?

id say he is, he's 60 euros for 30 minutes and is chocker bloc all day, 80 euros for the night!!!

Surely easier dosh for them to put their lot on the 3.45 at the races ........ if hey can forecast the future. These guys are charlatans - feeding off gullibility. The old TP Barnam saying comes to mind.:D

Total rubbish, no such thing as anyone predicting the future.

However - I do think that perhaps when people go with a problem that the whole ceremony of clairvoyance (perhaps reading the palm, or using tarot cards) can help focus the individuals mind on their own issue and they end up dealing with their issue or feeling better about it because they use the session as a tool to gain answers from within.

Other than that its total poppycock.

Total rubbish, no such thing as anyone predicting the future.

However - I do think that perhaps when people go with a problem that the whole ceremony of clairvoyance (perhaps reading the palm, or using tarot cards) can help focus the individuals mind on their own issue and they end up dealing with their issue or feeling better about it because they use the session as a tool to gain answers from within.

Other than that its total poppycock.
Surely the tarot card is merely a tool of the trade;) as the clairvoyant already knows which cards will show up:rolleyes: If you meant credit card, that would be more to the point IMO:D

Back