fortune tellers/psychics

scati

Hi all, just a quick question and feedback would be appreciated, has anyone been to Joe Gough in ashbourne, Co. Meath. Heard he was brilliant, but dont you always before you go. Have'nt been to a fortune teller in years, and would like to go now because of a personal problem, but would like to hear from the good people of askaboutmoney if he was good or bad.

Hi all, just a quick question and feedback would be appreciated, has anyone been to Joe Gough in ashbourne, Co. Meath. Heard he was brilliant, but dont you always before you go. Have'nt been to a fortune teller in years, and would like to go now because of a personal problem, but would like to hear from the good people of askaboutmoney if he was good or bad.

Why is that people only tend to go to these when they have a problem?
Do you not think that these fortune tellers are aware of this and are always going to be able to use that to their advantage as well?

The techniques these people use are easily learned apparently - I think its called 'cold reading'.

I seen a TV programme when Derren Brown pretended to be one in the US and really shocked some of the people involved in this practice, especially when they seen how good he was.

Afterwards he told them he was making it all up.

Its a scam. End of.

Well if Derren browne says its true I'm sold on that too. Maybe fortune tellers are to some people as mass/prayers are to others?. As long is it doesn't cause upset it shouldn't be a problem.

Not that you know of anyway, I don't think anything can be ruled out entirely.
Well you cannot of course prove a negative but all available evidence would certainly support the hypothesis that it is a scam/futile exercise.

As long is it doesn't cause upset it shouldn't be a problem.
Well they are making money out of it. That Irish Psychics bloke is a millionaire. Maybe if they are fraudulently making money there is a problem.

...available evidence would certainly support the hypothesis...
It may support the hypothesis, but I doubt it actually proves it.
(Okay - re-read your post, and you're pretty much making the same point)

I believe that there are are some who have a gift of foreseeing etc. Just because most of use have just five senses doesn't mean that a few have a sixth sense of some degree.

I think they read people and use leading questions, eg I am seeing an older lady who wants to talk to you (99% of people will have a gran/mother/aunt that has died). Have to say I'm sceptical but if you are having problems and feel it will help you, but maybe talking things through with friends would be a better option.

why dont they just ban it ? or at least put a large disclaimer on the bottom of the psychics hotline adverts ? People who spend a lot of money on this kind of crap are in my opinion similar psychologically to gamblers or smokers so I dont see why we cant have a large warning inserted into every psychic advert?????

Another fantastic idea would be to put a disclaimer on the bottom of every Bible and Koran that the main ideas of these books are 100% unproven but have I gone too far this time ? ;-)

I went to a psychic years ago with a friend of mine who had been widowed. She persuaded me to go with her to this woman who was apparently well known and supposed to be very good. She said a few things that turned out as she said but these were very general and could have applied to anyone. The only thing she said of real substance was that I would have two sons and they would be very involved with sport which is totally untrue. I went there as a skeptic and left even more convinced that it was utter rubbish. I honestly believe that these people prey on other peoples grief, depression, loneliness. I can absolutely understand why people go to psychics but they wont find what they need there.

I believe that there are are some who have a gift of foreseeing etc. Just because most of use have just five senses doesn't mean that a few have a sixth sense of some degree.
You may believe that but there is absolutely no objective scientific evidence to support such a belief. To paraphrase Bertrand Russell "just because somebody has not been able to prove that there is not a silver teapot orbiting Mars is no reason to default to believing that one exists".

why dont they just ban it ? or at least put a large disclaimer on the bottom of the psychics hotline adverts ? People who spend a lot of money on this kind of crap are in my opinion similar psychologically to gamblers or smokers so I dont see why we cant have a large warning inserted into every psychic advert?????

Another fantastic idea would be to put a disclaimer on the bottom of every Bible and Koran that the main ideas of these books are 100% unproven but have I gone too far this time ? ;-)
Why introduce legislation to protect people from their own gullibility/stupidity?

I just keep thinking that there must be another way of making money out of all those stupid people.

Why introduce legislation to protect people from their own gullibility/stupidity?

Well ClubMan. Similar legislation already exists with regard to tobacco advertising and gambling.
Since you asked such a question I would like to ask if you believe tobacco should be sold to children or if health warnings should be removed from cigarette packets ? Also should minors be allowed to gamble ?
What about children ? Shouldnt' they be protected ? Psychics exploit vulnerable people often for large sums of money. Vulnerable people need be not controlled but at least considered by the state. Psychics engage in false advertising. They should be regulated. Maybe they are but I dont think they are regulated right now. Thats my point.

I've often wondered why you need to make an appointment to see a clairvoyant. Don't they know you're coming?

Back