Form11 payment - Anyone get current and prelim tax the wrong way around ?

elcato

I just noticed the receipt I got from revenue has the numbers in the wrong way around. Assuming I must have put the numbers in the wrong way around do I need to contact revenue I wonder. Basically 2018 had more expenses than this year so the liability was smaller. I paid more prelim tax for next year and it is appearing in the current year in the actual receipt I got when paid by SDI. Will Rev just credit the overcharge to next year anyway ? I guess I should have just paid the exact same for both years and there would be no problem but that's another story

They will work it out but you can contact them and get it corrected if you feel that's necessary - I wouldn't bother as your account will be ok once the credit from 2018 works through to 2019

Unless it's for a HUGE amount!

So unfortunately although revenue took both payments this time last year, my 'File and Submit' calculation is showing the prelim figure for 2018 as the paid figure last year (which was smaller). This means it's stating I owe 2k more than I do. I can just pay it it along with the prelim for next year but wonder is it wroth my while trying to contact revenue to correct it in time for this year rather than risk them suspecting me of some skullduggery and triggering an audit ? Anyone as stupid as me out there ?

If you send an email via the enquiries they will correct the amounts. You can correct the amounts on the F11 if you have not submitted it yet

You can correct the amounts on the F11 if you have not submitted it yet
Oh - You mean I can just changed the auto-entered figure there or otherwise ? (I'm away from PC so can't just check) I have popped off the email but it took 3 weeks the last time I queried anything.

I had a query last year and did not get a response until January this year. But they allowed me to submit a revised Form 11 and did not charge me any penalties, etc as they accepted that they had taken too long to answer my query. So I was able to revise my 2018 return and this also affected my preliminary payments for 2019.

My experience of interacting with Revenue is that they are fair and always try to help.

I had a call from a Revenue agent a few weeks ago, to say the prelim I'd paid for the 2019 tax year had been credited to 2018, so my account was showing an overpayment re 2018. I hadn't made a mistake when I submitted, but when the actual payment was taken it had been allocated wrongly. She advised me to submit a request via My Enquiries (or MyAccount?) and the adjustment was made the next day.

So I got an answer (document with figures) off revenue which I think basically states that I had an overpayment from last year which nullifies this years payments. I say I think because they only give total figures. I have tried editing the prelim box in the calculation but it does not allow it. It does have a clear data button which I am reluctant to press (although I have a screenshot of the figures if I need to add them). I am going to press OK on the calculate and see what the sign part throws at me I think. See if there is a box there to show an overpayment from last year. Failing that I will put in 0 for this year and just put the prelim figure in accordingly.

Back