Form11 help please

Newbie!

I am trying to make my tax return for 2019 (Have always had an accountant do it but they let me down this year). I am absolutely useless at this stuff and am fumbling in the dark trying to learn from last years return. Have a million questions but firstly
1. Last year I was in receipt of carers benefit of 220pw, totalling €11440 in the year 2019. In the section 'Other taxable Social Welfare Payments, Benefits or Pensions (State Pension, Illness Benefit, Occupational Injury Benefit, Jobseeker’s Benefit, Pre-Retirement Allowance, Maternity Benefit, Paternity Benefit, Adoptive Benefit/Health & Safety Benefit) - do I put that full figure there?

2. The accountant last year put my deductibles (on an admin-based income of €9600) as follows: motor, travel &subsistence-950, repairs/renewals -180, other expenses 821. I've no idea where he plucked these from so should I just leave them there?

Edit to add, I am jointly assessed with my husband.

Last edited:
I would leave them as is and find out in January how he came up with those figures. This needs to be in tomorrow and at least you have tried.
Why your on a Form 11 is puzzling and find a proper accountant one that won't let you down.

Thanks Paul. My experience with accoountants is that they appear not to be interested in a job like this.

Also, I'm interested in your comment about why I'm using a form 11? What else would you think I should be using? (genuinely have no idea)

I complete a form 12 and the section relating to other incomes is usually pre-filled by Revenue as they have access to this info. Whether form 11 or 12 I think this question is standard to both. The figure in my case, was pre-filled but somewhat marginally incorrect, and I put in my calculation based on the actual amounts calculated as you have done.

Put the carer’s payment into the social welfare column as it is taxable. Do you have rental income as repairs/renewals seems to fit into that category or do you use your own car on company business. I would take them out if you don’t know .

2. The accountant last year put my deductibles (on an admin-based income of €9600) as follows: motor, travel &subsistence-950, repairs/renewals -180, other expenses 821. I've no idea where he plucked these from so should I just leave them there?

What is this "admin-based income"?

Is it income you earn as an employee (ie do you get payslips, is your tax deducted at souce) or as some sort of contractor (where you have to look after your own taxes?

Thanks Paul. My experience with accoountants is that they appear not to be interested in a job like this.

Also, I'm interested in your comment about why I'm using a form 11? What else would you think I should be using? (genuinely have no idea)
Your income as a carer is tiny but you did say you were jointly assessed, if you or your husband are chargeable persons there must be other income sources, rental, investment etc.
If that isn't the case you need to get onto Revenue, we are chargeable but we have rental income plus my few bob from a few bits and pieces.
If neither of you are getting income from outside PAYE there is something wrong.

What is this "admin-based income"?

Is it income you earn as an employee (ie do you get payslips, is your tax deducted at souce) or as some sort of contractor (where you have to look after your own taxes?
Looks like she's getting paid by SW to be a carer, and the accountant put expenses against it , and arrives at a taxable €9600.
I'm no expert but this sounds wrong.
Her income at €220 pw wouldn't attract tax if she wasn't jointly assessed.?

It looks more to me like op is a carer with sw income of 11k and part time self employed admin work with income of 9k
That's what it looks like to me too

This would then explain both

1. Why the accountant has put expenses against this income, and
2. Why a Form 11 has to be filed because the Net Income is more than €5k

Put the carer’s payment into the social welfare column as it is taxable. Do you have rental income as repairs/renewals seems to fit into that category or do you use your own car on company business. I would take them out if you don’t know .

Yes, we do the rent a room scheme (tax free).

It's the latter. I do comms for a small business and I sort out my own tax.

It looks more to me like op is a carer with sw income of 11k and part time self employed admin work with income of 9k

Exactly this. Apologies for explaining myself so badly. I recieve carers allowance and resigned my PAYE post. I also work a few hours a week totalling 9k per year and I sort out my own taxes.

Sorry, my daughter was quite ill yesterday so I had to abandon the form11 until late last night. I got it done based on lots of kind advice. I know my expenses are not fully accurate. I reduced them based on the accountants figures because I think he was a bit over generous on them but I decided to just get it on time and I'll deal with minor inaccuracies after. I hope that was the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Back