Foreigner wants to send me a bank draft for my car without seeing it!

stuartmc

What am I missing here...?

We have a car advertised on carzone. I got an enquiry via e-mail as per the below thread. I ca't think of a good reason for not providing an address to the prospective buyer but it feels crazy and wrong somehow.....

-------------------------------------

Hi Sound Good.......
I'm ready to proceed with the purchase, I will instruct my irish bank to raise the BANK draft directly in your name and flavor from my account for the sum of 7,700 euro You'll allow the draft to clear for 2-3 days at your Bank. After you might have deducted your payment, the excess fund should be sent to my shipper in the UK, via westernuion money transfer. My shipper handle the shipping to Canada, he deals with Quick Time, and fast delivery. i will like to pay you 120 euro for your efforts and the westernuion money transfer charges.
Pls send your full datas, so that you'll recieve the draft very
soon. NAME...PHYSICAL ADDRESS...PHONE NUMBERS...
Hoping to hear from you ASAP, shipper will come for pickup at your address.
Danny brown
Good day
payment will cleared into your account before you release the car to the shipper.......

Stuart [email protected] wrote:
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } Thank you for your interest in our car. Please see my answers below and let me know if you are still interested.

-----Original Message-----​

Sent: 18 July 2007 15:35​

To: Stuart​

Subject: Enquiry about your Fiat Punto from Motornet​

Hi Stuart ,

XXXX [516 299 6376] made an enquiry on Motornet about your 2000 Fiat Punto 1.2l 16v SPORTING - NCT 11/08 1.2 Petrol (ref. 738216).

XXXX writes:

I would like to enquire about the 2000 Fiat Punto 1.2l 16v SPORTING - NCT 11/08 1.2 Petrol

Hello, Got your advert about selling a car. I'm interested in buying

it but will like to know some few thing about it.

1. How long have you owned it? Approx 1 year

2. Why are you selling it? I use the train now

3. What is the mileage? 50k miles

4. What sort of condition is it at the moment? perfect

And please let me know if it's still available for sale and the

bottom price you can let me have it. It is still available at €4900

I Based in Canada operating personal business of selling and buying of

used goods

The shippment will be handled by my private shipper in UK. And the payment

will be made buy a certified cheque or Banker's draft. Await to hearing

from you soon.

You can also contact me on my telephone (516) 299-6376

Thank you

XXXXX

You can view this car here:

http://www.carzone.ie/738216

ID: 449678

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the thread on scams or Google search scams.

He sends you a cheque for more than the price of the car.
You foolishly send him the difference by Western Union
The cheque bounces.
You lose.

Brendan

Yeah - well known scam. Avoid like the plague and maybe alert the site owners to this guy.

Well done on spotting that something was "off". Too many people are taken in by these scammers.

My favourite anti-scam website is this:
It's run by someone who sells horses and got a little fed up of the same type of responses as you got, so decided to turn the tables a little.

Quote from the front page:
" Ever hear of the Nigerian 419 scam letters? Well they take many shapes and forms, but the end results are all the same. If you fall for there scam you are out some hard earned cash. If you are selling a horse, dog, car, tractor, boat or anything else on the web then you need to be aware of this scam!
The first few letters are from scammers trying to buy my horses...
After receiving about 10 of these letters and ignoring them I decided to fight back a little. The letters with the ***** are from people who have sent their works to me!
[FONT=&quot]It costs these guys real money to send you there fake money orders (and believe me...they are FAKE) and that's money they have successfully scammed off of other unsuspecting people. So I decided to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]scam the scammer!"

To date the scammers have been done out of over $3,800, not a lot in the greater scheme of things, but the stories make great reading!
[/FONT]

fair play on spotting it, its a real abuse of the internet, lots of people out there would take it on face value and fall for it. :(

Just ask yourself-why on earth would someone in Canada want to buy a Fiat Punto from Ireland?

a man came from the highlands in scotland 2 years ago to buy my 1990 nissan micra for €150 ! he said they run for ever and he couldnt get one, i was mortified boyfriend said we might get scrappage for it couldn't believe it. He arrived off the boat and drove it to belfast to get the boat back, so my little red nissan is probably herding cattle in the snow!!

a man came from the highlands in scotland 2 years ago to buy my 1990 nissan micra for €150 ! he said they run for ever and he couldnt get one, i was mortified boyfriend said we might get scrappage for it couldn't believe it. He arrived off the boat and drove it to belfast to get the boat back, so my little red nissan is probably herding cattle in the snow!!

That makes no sense either.

Can ya not wait for the cheque to clear before sending on the difference minus all your costs??
If the cheque bounces ya obviously send nothing on, ...seems simple or am I missing something ????????????????

What am I missing here...?

We have a car advertised on carzone. I got an enquiry via e-mail as per the below thread. I ca't think of a good reason for not providing an address to the prospective buyer but it feels crazy and wrong somehow.....

If your serious about not being able to spot what this is from first reading then you really shouldn't be using the Internet/email, or perhaps be going outdoors to be honest.

Can ya not wait for the cheque to clear before sending on the difference minus all your costs??
If the cheque bounces ya obviously send nothing on, ...seems simple or am I missing something ????????????????

The cheque can take a long while to bounce.

i know aircobra it was the funniest thing ever, he looked like billy connolly! i thought it was a wind up, my boyfriend handed him back 20 for luck!

Well done on spotting that something was "off". Too many people are taken in by these scammers.

My favourite anti-scam website is this:
It's run by someone who sells horses and got a little fed up of the same type of responses as you got, so decided to turn the tables a little.

Hillarious

Were there any bank robberies in your area that week?

ah my old little naomi (the nissan) wouldn't have partaken in such offenses! it was a grand car it was broken into constantly every weekend for years they'd bend the door back, but could never start it! kids in the area would point at it when I'd get petrol cause i think they thought it never started cause they couldn't rob it, they even robbed my battery one time, but if you went over 40 miles an hour wind would come in the doors where they had been bent back so would not be a good get a way vehicle (maybe for the key stone cops)!

This is a known type of fraud

The draft will more then likely turn out to be fraudulent and will be bounced, however that will take around 10 days for when you lodge it to when your account is debited back for the amount of the draft once it is unpaid
Fraudster is hoping that you will have sent the money on in the meantime

Back