Ford trade-in price difference

hoopman

Hi I looked at a few second hand cars yesterday. mainly Ford Focus's.
And was a bit puzzeled as to the difference on the amount of trade in that garages were willing to give me on part exchange for my own car.

For example one ford garage was going to give me €4,000 for my car
(99 1600 ghi) off a focus (1600 lx steel 2005) priced at €14,000
Where another garage was only offering €2,500 off a focus (1600 ghi 2005) priced at €17,000.
Both cars had similar millage (25,000) both were in different ford garages.

Can Anyone out there throw a bit a light on why there was such a large difference.

I asked the dealer of the €17,000 car why, but basiclly he started to fobb me off about the possibility that the other vendor has overpriced his car and therefore can give a bigger trade in.

Anyone got any thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
1st place may have too much expensive stock, or can sell your old car easier, or is just hungrier for the business.

Shopping around does work.

So is there any truth to the myth that the best place to buy a ford car is in any other main dealer other than ford? (not just ford but any marque?)

I looked at a '05 1.6 TDCI Focus Ghia 87k kilometers at the weekend in a ford main dealer. Asking €18,300.

Had a look on the net today trying to find out was that a good price and saw a simiar car in a another dealership (VW) for €15,500. Thats some price difference!

Does this substantiate the myth or is just coincidence?

Back