Food to die for ?

You and I need to start hanging out more often, 3 in 1 trays, pints of milk with curry - you are my soul mate!!

The ultimate devestation is for your chinese to delivery to arrive and then discover there's no milk:eek:, an urgent trip to the garage for milk follows.

The ultimate devestation is for your chinese to delivery to arrive and then discover there's no milk:eek:, an urgent trip to the garage for milk follows.

Its the same level of devastation as if they forgot to include the curry sauce with the order :eek:!!!

Coffee. Wine. Seafood....maybe not in that order. Although it would be my perfect meal. And, indeed, often is.:eek:

I don't like milk.

We had our own dairy cows growing up. I loved the cream at the top but I didn't like the taste of the milk itself.

I haven't drunk milk since I was pre-teen. Funny enough, my mother didn't like milk nor do many of my sisters, nieces. Must be a female family thing. So black coffee, black tea for the Marion clan.

However, I like milk in scrambled eggs, I adore cheese, love pancakes, I love Ben & Gerrys, Hagendasz icecream, Love Glenisk greek yogurt, like parsley sauce on the side, like cream pastries, love butter on toast.

So, what's my food to die for?

Milk. I think it would kill me if I were to drink it.

I'm not that brave!

Marion

That takes me back, Marion. When I was a little boy, my mother used to send me to a local farmer for "a gallon of milk." He had a herd of Jersey cows and he used to give me the milk straight from the cows. Warm and unpasteurised. (He didn't have a daughter named Marion, so it wasn't your dad!) ;) Jersey milk has a high cream content and we all loved the taste of it. When my mother put it into a glass jug, you could see the cream settling on top, just like bought bottled milk used to, before it was homogenised. Looking back now, drinking it was probably lethal!

I don't drink milk (as a drink) anymore. I try to keep my cholesterol in check. I moved to low fat milk years ago and now take skimmed milk in cereal, tea, coffee, etc. I was a great dairy products guy but I've pretty much cut them all out now also. No cheese, butter, eggs or yogurt and I don't miss them really. I'd easily use a litre of skimmed milk per day, though, in numerous mugs of tea or coffee, so I think my calcium intake is still ok.

As far as dairy products are concerned, I eat mainly low fat stuff; yoghurts, cheese, milk etc. But real butter is the one thing I refuse to give up - life's too short for "dairy spreads":D I also can't contemplate life without my friday night takeaway - usually Chinese or Indian, sometimes pizza, either before or after a few pints. I've just moved out of Dublin and have gone from paying over €4.50 for a Guinness to €3.35, or €3.10 if I go further up the road and chance a Beamish so I'm more inclined to go for a few drinks on a Friday than I was before.

I'm a firm believer in a balanced diet while not denying myself anything I fancy. I see friends who eat low fat everything, steamed veg, brown rice etc and are "healthier" than me. But I'm the only one of the group who's never sick so I must be doing something right! Everything in moderation is my motto.

We have a lot in common, Aonfocaleile! I think good health and long life is down to the good stuff, myself! ;)

Please set out a 3rd chair and let me know when that order is being placed. I'll even bring the milk!

I'm looking forward to my 3 in 1 and milk tonight, and even better i'm pregnant so i can stuff myself guilt free!

Last edited:
We had our own dairy cows growing up.

Marion

I grew up on a dairy farm too, I loved 'raw' milk- we used to have a jug of it in the fridge and before you'd use it, you'd have to stir it to mix the cream back into the milk.Do you remember the milk tasting different once the cows went out to grass for the first time in the spring?

I still like milk, but my father refuses to let me have any raw milk nowadays ( ever since he read a very, very long report on the possibilities of food poisoning, salmonella etc from unpasteurised milk), and buys pasteurised milk instead.

We probably built up quite an immune system when you think about it!

Like Complainer was a big fan of batch bread and real butter but that has gone by the wayside too unless its on the go in relatives homes.

Myself and Mrs. Box have just polished off a freshly made batch loaf and a plate of Fantail Prawns with Thousand Island dressing. I also splashed out and got some nice cheese and a Mediterranean style pull apart loaf full of olive oil, sun dried tomatoes and black olives for later on. I will also open a nice bottle of Prosecco. Today is a day of weakness. I accept that. Two cholesterol tablets tonight.

I grew up on a dairy farm too, I loved 'raw' milk- we used to have a jug of it in the fridge and before you'd use it, you'd have to stir it to mix the cream back into the milk.Do you remember the milk tasting different once the cows went out to grass for the first time in the spring?

I still like milk, but my father refuses to let me have any raw milk nowadays ( ever since he read a very, very long report on the possibilities of food poisoning, salmonella etc from unpasteurised milk), and buys pasteurised milk instead.

we used to refer to it as "warm" milk! tasted completely different to todays watered down stuff.

Blaas & red lead ( as luncheon sausage is known locally ) - food of the Gods ( & Deise folk )

Yes Déise and unless the blaas were bought in Ballybricken they were useless. Many's the blaa dripping with red lead passed through my lips, after a load of black-steak and chucks from the Mayors Walk.

Please set out a 3rd chair and let me know when that order is being placed. I'll even bring the milk!

I'm looking forward to my 3 in 1 and milk tonight, and even better i'm pregnant so i can stuff myself guilt free!

Breaking news lads!!! I went to the chinese that used to do Special Boxes last night - not on the menu so I just asked 'Do ye not do special boxes anymore?' and guess what!!!! They DO!!!! Its just not on the menu! Ive been missing them for years - oh the joy of driving home and stuffing myself silly with it!!!

Yes Déise and unless the blaas were bought in Ballybricken they were useless. Many's the blaa dripping with red lead passed through my lips, after a load of black-steak and chucks from the Mayors Walk.

Ah the good old days.

A feed of large bottles in Walsh's of Ballybricken & then over to Johnny Walkers for scallops or down to Charlie Uptons for crubeens - you'd be spitting out the knuckles the whole way home - class or wha'

Vanilla said:

We must have.

Interestingly, I remember one time as a child having a cold sore on my lip and my late father told me to rub the cream from the top of the milk in the fridge to heal it. I don't recall if it worked or not. But I happily lashed on the cream.:)

Marion

Blaas & red lead ( as luncheon sausage is known locally ) - food of the Gods ( & Deise folk )

Ah the good old days.

A feed of large bottles in Walsh's of Ballybricken & then over to Johnny Walkers for scallops or down to Charlie Uptons for crubeens - you'd be spitting out the knuckles the whole way home - class or wha'

Would anyone care to translate for the rest of us?

After 3 or 4 pint bottles of Phoenix, you'll understand every word, Complainer! ;)

Back