Food to die for ?

A colleague in work has avoided drinking milk for years because she thinks it will make her fat and now has borderline osteoporosis.
This to me makes no sense, better to have the milk and avoid the chips.
The same women will have three punnets of full fat butter on two slices of toast :confused:

You should tell her that drinking milk actually helps quicken up your metabolism, which in conjunction with a healthy diet, would help keep off the fat!

You can show her this link too : http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52485

I don't like milk.

We had our own dairy cows growing up. I loved the cream at the top but I didn't like the taste of the milk itself.

I haven't drunk milk since I was pre-teen. Funny enough, my mother didn't like milk nor do many of my sisters, nieces. Must be a female family thing. So black coffee, black tea for the Marion clan.

However, I like milk in scrambled eggs, I adore cheese, love pancakes, I love Ben & Gerrys, Hagendasz icecream, Love Glenisk greek yogurt, like parsley sauce on the side, like cream pastries, love butter on toast.

So, what's my food to die for?

Milk. I think it would kill me if I were to drink it.

I'm not that brave!

Marion

Ok you lot that's enough now. I want each and every one of ye to own up to how many calories are contained in these dreadful sins (foods) that you're all discussing. 10 Hail Mary's each after you've confessed.

Have yez not heard about a minute on the lips a lifetime on the hips. :D

I can't narrow it down. Inside there's a fat girl trying to get out. I love Italian food - olives, tomatoes, artichokes etc. I love meat (nothing like a nice beef fillet cooked well), I love fish, vegetables, bread and cake. Oh my god cake. When you see a crowd of 8 girls out for dinner and they get 3 desserts between them to share I'm the opposite. I have often gone out to dinner with my two sisters and got six desserts to share cos we can't decide. I had a job explaining it to a waitress one night in Dobbins who just couldn't understand why 3 of us were ordering 6 desserts. I'm such a gluttonous food freak, I dream at night about my breakfast in the morning.

I know the shame:eek: but that said, I don't eat huge quantities, I just try it all. One of my little boys is the same. The others prefer coco pops and nutella. I just dont get it.

I've had to go pretty much low-fat everything for health reasons - skinny milk, low-fat spreads, lo-salt etc etc. We don't each much processed food, so the quality of my food is generally pretty good, but don't ask me about quantity.

But when I'm over with the in-laws, and the slab of soft, creamy, yellow real butter comes out on the table, wild horses couldn't keep me away. I'll have it on anything - nice batch loaf or fresh rolls or spuds or pretty much anything!

Feeling hungry now - must resist...

As far as dairy products are concerned, I eat mainly low fat stuff; yoghurts, cheese, milk etc. But real butter is the one thing I refuse to give up - life's too short for "dairy spreads":D I also can't contemplate life without my friday night takeaway - usually Chinese or Indian, sometimes pizza, either before or after a few pints. I've just moved out of Dublin and have gone from paying over €4.50 for a Guinness to €3.35, or €3.10 if I go further up the road and chance a Beamish so I'm more inclined to go for a few drinks on a Friday than I was before.

I'm a firm believer in a balanced diet while not denying myself anything I fancy. I see friends who eat low fat everything, steamed veg, brown rice etc and are "healthier" than me. But I'm the only one of the group who's never sick so I must be doing something right! Everything in moderation is my motto.

I cook from scratch and do a lot of tomatoe based dishes in the summer, use herbs/spices for flavor. I eat tonnes of veg but am not great for fruit. I'm doing this 2 years and have lost 3 stone.

I don't buy bread, butter/spread, biscuits, fizzy drinks, crisps. I eat/drink those type of things when I'm out or at friends houses.

I do like steak and chips an odd time so again will eat this out. I cannot cook steak myself in any case.

I am constantly fascinated at other peoples trolleys, especially in lidl/aldi. Last night in Dunnes I saw a woman, man and 2 kids buy 6 Sheppard pies in a box for 99 cent. I'm assuming she and her husband eat 2. Next was 4 x 2 litres of cheap cola and on it went. The amount of sugar / saturated fat in that trolley was frightening. All four were overweight.

If I was to say I miss anything, it's butter on my spuds and carrots so every so often I will nick two small ones from work.

Can't stand cheese and am not the usual female chocoholic but would run ya down with the car if the last caramel sundae was selling out in McDs.

Over the past few years have copped on and switched to the usual brown bread/brown rice.

Like Complainer was a big fan of batch bread and real butter but that has gone by the wayside too unless its on the go in relatives homes.

Have to say I do like a MD's caramel sundae myself. Also love their milk shakes.

You should tell her that drinking milk actually helps quicken up your metabolism, which in conjunction with a healthy diet, would help keep off the fat!

You can show her this link too : http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52485

Thanks for that, it's like talking to a brick wall most of the time with her.

I'm a big advocate of milk anyway, i'd easily drink a pint and a half a day, somedays over a litre, usually low fat now but as a child and all through my teens and early twenties it was full fat. My mam drank a litre a day when she was pregnant with me. I was rarely sick as a child and now rarely sick as an adult and never suffered hugely with my weight (no more than the average woman and those pesky couple of pounds!), i really believe milk is one of the best things you can include in your diet, especially for women with the risks of osteoporosis.

Back to the topic and i agree with ali on italian food - olives, really nice pizza, pasta with pesto mmmm

You know folks Aldi do a great range of really tasty foreign treats.Crunchy garlic cloves in herbs, artichoke hearts, Greek cheese stuffed peppers (very spicy). They also do some lovely pesto's. Walnut & Ricotta, Spinach & Walnut etc. Check em out. They're more or less good for ye.

I am constantly fascinated at other peoples trolleys, especially in lidl/aldi. Last night in Dunnes I saw a woman, man and 2 kids buy 6 Sheppard pies in a box for 99 cent. I'm assuming she and her husband eat 2. Next was 4 x 2 litres of cheap cola and on it went. The amount of sugar / saturated fat in that trolley was frightening. All four were overweight.

I find myself fascinated with other peoples trolleys as well. In Lidl recently a man asked a staff member did they do 'steak and kidney pies in a tin' - I cant understand food of that nature at all, I cook from scratch as well. I dont really understand food that comes in a tin or a plastic tray that you just heat up - if I ate something like that I wouldnt in a million years consider it dinner. Its not 'real' food imo.

Despite all the programmes on television and all the warnings these people go on their merry way regardless. The sad thing is, they are setting their children up to follow suit. Is it because they can't cook or won't cook?

The amount of fresh produce that they could have purchased with that money and the amount of savings they could have made. I purchased a few fizzy drinks for Christmas for the "just in case". The opened bottles went flat because nobody would drink them and I still have one unopened left.

I am off to do my shopping shortly. It will be all fresh produce and there will be one treat and that's it.

The amount of fresh produce that they could have purchased with that money and the amount of savings they could have made.

I think people don't always realise how much can be saved by buying fresh food and the variety of meals that can be made over the course of a few days and frozen if necessary e.g. if you buy a big chicken, some potatoes and a selection of fresh veg, and if you have some staples/condiments available, you can make meals such as a chicken stir fry/chicken fried rice, grilled chicken with home made wedges, tortillas/fajihtas, soup, chicken and veggie pie etc etc. And thats just with the leftovers! (Think I'll make a small chicken and veggie pie tonight mmmmmm).

Thanks for that, it's like talking to a brick wall most of the time with her.

I'm a big advocate of milk anyway, i'd easily drink a pint and a half a day, somedays over a litre, usually low fat now but as a child and all through my teens and early twenties it was full fat. My mam drank a litre a day when she was pregnant with me. I was rarely sick as a child and now rarely sick as an adult

I was the same as a child and right up to my mid 20's. I drank milk like we had a herd of cows in the garden. However, I was always sick with throat infections, had my tonsils out and this didnt help things. I heard one day that milk actually causes a mucus to build up in the throat, so I reduced my milk intake and hey presto, infections decreased significantly. Now I have read many scientific study that dismisses my theory, but I have also read more that say the opposite. Now I drink the amount of milk my body will tolerate, but I dont drink the gallons I used to. Read more here

Ronanc i have heard that dairy can be a no no for asthmas suffererers too. Also i've heard that the molecules in cow's milk are harder for human's to digest and we should really drink goat's milk or rice milk.
I tried goat's milk before but it is very sweet and more expensive.
Thankfully i've never suffered any ill effects, there is nothing quite like a big pint of ice cold milk, especially with a curry :)

I heard one day that milk actually causes a mucus to build up in the throat, so I reduced my milk intake and hey presto, infections decreased significantly.

Up to about 2 years ago, we could always be sure that the kids would get some class of throat or chest infection each Winter, and the attendant GP and pharmacy charges.

We then switched them from dairy to soy milk and, hey presto, no more chest and throat infections.

That doesn't prove that one was causing the other, but the kids remain healthy and the GP visit is now, thankfully, a rare event.

Not a food but I'd drink litres of lucozade.
Used to have at least two litres a day

Some amount of calories in it

The person who gets calorie free or a diet version of lucozade on the market is Ireland's next millionaire

Hey, where's that number to Dragons Den??

I don't drink tea or coffee. I had a black coffee a few years ago and I felt sort of dizzy after drinking it.
No thanks so I've had one cup of coffee in my life, hate the smell even
The mammy thinks I'm strange for not drinking tea, she easily has over ten cups a day

Back