Food Contamination

A

annamac1

Just reading on BBC listings of foods contaminated with sudan1 which include Tesco, Waitrose, McDonalds etc (over 300 foodstuffs so far) but interestingly no products from Aldi or Lidl so far.....
Has anyone come across a listing for ireland yet??

according to the list published by the UK Dept of Food, the Aldi Supreme Vegetable Soup 400g Can contains the sudan1 ingredient.

where's the beef

[broken link removed] is the list
ninsaga

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Source:FSAI

Strangely, the Irish Times shows a picture of a Lea and Perrins Worchestershire sauce bottle, but it doesn't appear to be on either of the above lists.

Marion :hat

Doesn't seem to be any Aldi and Lidil products on the list. The source was seemingly a UK company and as Aldi and Lidil pay scant regard for locally procuced product they may have escaped the grand recall

does anyone know the E number for the offending Sudan Red 1? or the correct chemical formula?

and NatCh,

Aldi and Lidil pay scant regard for locally procuced product

What evidence have you for this statement? I saw Kerr Pinks from Clonakilty in my local Aldi today! and have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of fresh produce which comes form the Island of Ireland.

ajapale

I agree, fruit and veg are good, chicken and bacon are also very good - everything is of a general high standard and no stale bisuits or past sellby dates.

Calm down, people.

An English company bought an ingredient from XX for the past 2 years, an Italian Food Lab uncovers the bad news two years later, and the head of the FSAI says, 'he's very annoyed...' (source: Irish Times, Sat Feb 19 2005).

(I'm paraphrasing here from the Irish Times)...The head of the FSAI compared it to smoking; one cigarette won't kill you...continous exposure over 25yrs to (take your pick) will.

As an Irish person, you're more likely to die from alcohol (yes, you!), smoking (yes, you!), takeaway chips (yes, you!) than eating Pot Noodles (my vice) once a month.

Back to basics!

Just goes to show, most of the foods listed are processed and are full of all sorts of additives and preservatives. If you really check the labels on the ready made meals, bottled sauces etc. you'd be horrified at what you're putting into your body and, worse still, your children's bodies!

We went back to basics a long time ago and only use raw ingredients in our meals.

Re: Back to basics!

I'm very calm Sluice44 - this is just a general info posting and theres nothing wrong with making people aware of food alerts - as for me at moment can't drink too much, gave up smoking, cook my own potatoes, slice them and fry lightly in olive oil - as for pot noodles they're very outdated - review your diet and check your cholesterol level! Happy eating.

I think I sue Tesco for trying to kill me

Line 282 of the british list features the following:
Tesco Stonebaked BBQChicken Pizza 317g with date of
21-Feb-05.

Guess what came today with my tesco home delivery!

Sudan I

does anyone know the E number for the offending Sudan Red 1? or the correct chemical formula?
It doesn't have an E-number. The whole point of E-numbers is that they are only given to approved compounds that are "generally recognised as safe". Of course, later data may show that some E-numbered compounds are in fact unsafe, and they are then taken off the approved list. However, in general you should be more worried about compounds that have not got an E-number than those that have.

The chemical name for Sudan I, depending on the nomenclature format you choose, is:
1-phenylazo-2-naphthol
1-phenylazo-beta-naphthol
2-hydroxy-1-phenylazonaphthalene
2-hydroxynaphthyl-1-azobenzene

Other synonyms are:
Solvent Yellow 14
Sudan Gelb
Dispersol Yellow PP
Ölorange E
Scharlach B

Re: Sudan I

Thanks cobalt for the information.

Is it true that sudan red 1 is what gave the colour to 'red diesel' and red shoe polish?

ajapale

Sudan I

Yes - but it's not the only one. Several different red dyes are used for both these purposes. For example, see for fuel dyes.

Re: Sudan I

AJP

Sorry about the delay answering your oh so typical AAM "where's your evidence?" question I'm guessing you'll need a sworn avadavid and expert witnesses report before we can proceed. All all say is I sat opposite these heros representing an Irish/UK food producer when they first arrived in the UK. We didn't get a sniff for years. We eventually did get our foot in the door when they realised that there was such a thing as local taste and preference. Glad to hear they are souring more food in Ireland my only visit found imported milk ..jeez milk I ask you.

Anyway,

The Irish Times had an apology today for implicating Lea and Perrins. Am I glad I don't need to dump the bottle! :)

Lea and Perrins - the spec

THE FACTS ABOUT THE SUDAN RED FOOD SCARE

Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is NOT affected by the food safety alert involving another Worcester Sauce that has been widely reported in the media over the weekend.

Consumers can therefore continue to safely enjoy Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce – the Original and Genuine product with the highest quality standards, first manufactured in 1835 and now sold in over 100 countries worldwide.

HOW DO WE ENSURE LEA & PERRINS IS SAFE FOR ALL OUR CONSUMERS?

Lea and Perrins has extremely rigorous Quality Controls in place at all stages of the process. It uses only the highest quality ingredients, and buys only from suppliers who can certify their Ingredients to be safe.

The product is regularly tested at independent laboratories, and the latest test results confirm once more that Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is safe and not affected by Sudan 1.

The affected products were Crosse and Blackwell Worcester Sauce, manufactured by Premier Foods as an ingredient for ready-meals. The product was contaminated by one of its ingredients - Chilli seasoning (powder).

Lea and Perrins (the Original and Genuine Worcestershire Sauce and the only one still made in Worcestershire) does not use Chilli powder – it uses Chilli Essence extracted from Whole Chillies.

MORE REASONS FOR YOU TO USE LEA & PERRINS WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

There are many reasons why Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is great to use with your everyday food:

· Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is free from artificial preservatives, artificial colours, and artificial sweeteners. We have been making it for over 165 years, and remain true to the original recipe to this day.

· Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is the only Worcestershire Sauce that can call itself the “Original and Genuine”.

· Lea and Perrins goes with a range of everyday foods – from favourites like Cheese on Toast and Spaghetti Bolognese, to pizzas, baked potatoes and nachos.

Marion :hat

1 more roaring success for the editorial staff in the times.

Irish Times

A little off topic but the Irish Times were similarly lax in the picture editing department on the day the Kyoto protocol came in to effect.
On the front page thay had a picture of smokestacks in India with the caption about the Kyoto protocol coming into effect and India isn't even signed up to it so has nothing to do with the Kyoto agreement

Back