Fog Lights!

odyssey06

Just back from a drive along Dollymount and visibility is poor.

Now might be a good time for familiarise yourself with how to turn on your fog lights.

Side lights or DRLs aren't bright enough at the moment on their own.

If in doubt, put on your (dipped) headlights.

ps And remember to turn them off once the fog has lifted. Usually once turned on fog lights will stay on once lights are turned on, even after engine restarts.

Last edited:
... or even when there is a car directly behind you! Driving behind a car with their fogs on is not nice!
Yes I seem to remember from my younger days that fog lights were really only to be used in less trafficked areas like the country side
and when doing city driving with traffic all around you they should be off even on days like today
The basic rule is if there is a car behind you and you can see them, switch off your fog lights!!

Last edited:
There's no need to turn off dipped headlights when fog lifts. Driving with dipped headlights on is a basic safety precaution.

I meant you need to manually turn off the fog lights. Once pressed the fog lights are 'on' and will come back on when you next turn on your side or head lights.

Having dipped headlights on constantly in normal daytime conditions seems OTT? DRLs or side lights should be suffficient.

Yes I seem to remember from my younger days that fog lights were really only to be used in less trafficked areas like the country side
and when doing city driving with traffic all around you they should be off even on days like today
Have fog light positions changed over time I wonder?

I wasn't in the city proper as such but coastal road and the cars with the low set front fog lights on were more safely visible without any dazzle effects. Visibility was about a football pitch which is what the regulations have for turning on fog lights.

Have fog light positions changed over time I wonder?

I wasn't in the city proper as such but coastal road and the cars with the low set front fog lights on were more safely visible without any dazzle effects. Visibility was about a football pitch which is what the regulations have for turning on fog lights.
I presumed we were talking about rear fog lights
Front fog lights as far as I'm aware won't dazzle other road users like a rear would but I could be wrong

According to RSA:

"Front fog lights are not mandatory, but some vehicles may have them fitted. All new cars since 1998 are required to be fitted with rear fog lights.
Fog lights must only be used if you cannot see more than 100 m in front of the vehicle, in dense fog or falling snow and night-time driving. Fog lights must be switched off when visibility improves.
Fog lights are extremely bright and powerful and if used when there is no dense fog or falling snow can cause glare and dazzle to other drivers which is illegal under the road traffic lighting of vehicles regulations."

Maybe it is, but it costs hardly nothing and if it's in any way useful, it should be worth doing. I drive with them on 24/7, as I find others who do likewise easier to see on the road regardless of conditions.
So do I, under the "auto" option on my car. In the summer, they adjust.

Fog was pretty bad this morning and there was drivers with no lights. Looking out the window, it's even worse now!

Having dipped headlights on constantly in normal daytime conditions seems OTT? DRLs or side lights should be suffficient.

Dipped headlights improve overall visibility and can reduce serious accidents on the road. The RSA note that if your car does not have DRL's you should switch on your dips. Also, DRL's don't activate lights at the rear of the vehicle, which is a drawback. If leaving your dips on has no adverse impact on your battery etc., then it probably better to leave the lights on your dip setting than having to remember to switch them on and off.

I presumed we were talking about rear fog lights

I remember wondering why when I turned on my fog lights, I couldn't see any better in front of me.
It never occurred to me that the fog lights were at the back and meant for other people to see me better.

I only discovered this when the NCT failed me because my rear fog light (only one?) wasn't working.

Brendan

One rear foglight (off-side), one reversing light (near-side). Lower-spec cars often don't have front fogs as they are not a legal requirement.

I remember wondering why when I turned on my fog lights, I couldn't see any better in front of me.
It never occurred to me that the fog lights were at the back and meant for other people to see me better.
Many (most modern?) cars have front and rear fog lights.

According to RSA:

"Front fog lights are not mandatory, but some vehicles may have them fitted. All new cars since 1998 are required to be fitted with rear fog lights.
Fog lights must only be used if you cannot see more than 100 m in front of the vehicle, in dense fog or falling snow and night-time driving. Fog lights must be switched off when visibility improves.
Fog lights are extremely bright and powerful and if used when there is no dense fog or falling snow can cause glare and dazzle to other drivers which is illegal under the road traffic lighting of vehicles regulations."

Front fog lights are meant to aimed low under the fog and to the side to light the road and kerb side, road markings. They are not intended to be aimed into the fog as it just reflects bright lights.

If they are angled upwards at incoming drivers they are set wrong.

It's not yet been bad enough where I am to need them. Maybe it's been worse in other places. Also might need them on motorway or major road and not on local roads due to the speed.

I'm remembering the late 80s and the smog when you couldn't see more than 10ft. I remember the bus conductor standing on the front step of the bus with a torch trying to find the kerb.

Front fog lights are meant to aimed low under the fog and to the side to light the road and kerb side, road markings. They are not intended to be aimed into the fog as it just reflects bright lights.

If they are angled upwards at incoming drivers they are set wrong.

Front fog dazzle when it is not foggy, especially at night. Being poorly adjusted only makes this worse. Rear fog lights are a particular menace when it is not foggy.

AutoExpress rule of thumb:

In the UK, street lights on 30mph roads are placed no more than 200 yards (183 metres) apart. So a good rule of thumb for using your fog lights is whether you can see the next street light up the road from the one you're passing. Use this rule, and it's clear that it's only going to be in the foggiest or snowiest conditions that fog lights should be used.

Back