Focus or Mondeo

Cabaiste

I'm looking for a Diesel focus. While looking I have come accross a few 2.0 diesel mondeos which seem to be well priced (2004 Mondeo Zetec Saloon with 41k miles for 14,900).

I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are on both of these cars.

I'm looking for something capable of racking up the miles (20 to 23 k per annum) in a bit of comfort on both country roads and main roads!

As an aside, can anyone tell me which 1.6 diesel focuses come in 110BHP, is it just the Ghia model?

Thanks!

I am looking at buying a diesel focus in UK, am looking at a 05 for £5500 sterling + €4000 VRT, Its 1.6 TDCI (108 BHP) and the model is a Zetec.

I am looking at buying a diesel focus in UK, am looking at a 05 for £5500 sterling + €4000 VRT, Its 1.6 TDCI (108 BHP) and the model is a Zetec.

I had thought about that too, but not sure if I am prepared to take the risk!

Is that focus from a private seller or through a dealer?

Mondeo also comes in a 2.2 diesel. It has a 155bhp & 300lbs of torque. Well worth considering.

Both cars are good. Mondeo is bigger obviously and will provide greater space and comfort, albeit at a price.

Both cars are good. Mondeo is bigger obviously and will provide greater space and comfort, albeit at a price.

I'm looking at an 05 focus ghia with 30k miles for 18k vs an '04 mondeo zetec with 40k miles for 15k.

Would the 3k difference in price pay for itself in lower running costs over 4 years?

What would the running costs be like for the mondeo?

I’d go for the Mondeo, the new model is out so you have the second hand discount because of that. There is a new Focus due out soon so the value of a second hand one will drop when this happens.
I don’t think you will see a huge difference in running costs.

They are both good cars.

I’d go for the Mondeo, the new model is out so you have the second hand discount because of that. There is a new Focus due out soon so the value of a second hand one will drop when this happens.
I don’t think you will see a huge difference in running costs.

They are both good cars.

ah but price of new focus is going up :) not really a new model, they've stuck a fancy grill on the front but it does come with ESP as standard, hence the price hike probably. don't think you'll see price of 2nd hand focus budging. I'm selling mine this year and I certainly won't be budging just because the new one has a gob on the front :-D

New Focus prices are not going up. ESP is being included gratis.

Bought the focus in the end!

In the end, it came down to size! I just felt the modeo was just to big a car for me having only driven small cars up to this!

Got an 05 1.6 TDCI Ghia focus and can't wait to collect it on friday!!

There was an advert this mornign saying there would be 500 or 700 € off a new focus if ordered before April 1st..

Good luck with that ! The diesel focus's and the Focus in general are highly rated. A good buy.

Picked up the new motor (1.6 TDCi focus) on friday. So far I'm very pleased with it.

Its pretty nippy, alot quicker than my 1.6 megane coupe which I traded in!

I've had a 2+ hour journey over a combination of bog roads and motorways and found it very comfortable and had a 40min journey with 5 adults in the car with no major complaints!

Fuel economy seems to be good so far with the trip computer telling me I'm averaging 55.6mpg.

So far, ticks all the boxes!

Back