Flying to US and internally in US -Ticket and passport name differ

Istabraq1

My fiance and I are travelling to the US next month, we are flying into New York and are then taking a number of internal US flights to different parts of the States. Everything has been booked on line and we have all the email confirmations etc. I noticed this morning that my outbound flight (booked outbound and return separatly) has James on the ticket which is the name on my passport but all the other tickets (including the internal flights) have Jimmy.
Can any tell me if I am going to have hassle flying internally in the US and flying back to Dublin because of this.
Thanks for your help

I would change the return flight to James as per passport. Airlines can be very sticky about that in my experience. You should be ok on the internal flights if you have an acceptable photo ID with Jimmy on it. (internal flights would not require a passport)

I visited the US in 2004 and found the old boarding pass in my office drawer. It has Jimmy on it, needless to say i had the same passport with James on it. I think I might chance it, thanks for the advice

Flying to and from the states can be tough at the best of times. The internal flight depending on where your flying to could well prove a test. Many of the security staff as opposed to the airline staff are like robots and tend to stick to the letter of the law !!

To be on the safe side contact the airline that you are flying with with to/from the states and internally and if they say its fine (print off the email) allgood, at least its better to cover the bases now as opposed to landing in New York and enduring hastle from Homeland Security !!!

Ryanair stopped a friend from comming back from London because Donagh was on the ticket & Denis on the passport.

He had to buy another flight.

Istabraq1 said:
I think I might chance it, thanks for the advice

Very very foolhardy.

For the sake of a small inconvenience you could be landing yourself with a huge hassle. Get the tickets changed.

Back