flying to newyork, my passport

Cormywormy

Hi, im going to newyork in 7 days and the people in 2 travel agents said my passport has to be 6 months in date, on the day i return from newyork. But my passport only has 4 months left on it.I have talked to a person in airlingus and they said its okay, that newyork is an exception.Did anyone fly to newyork in the past few months and can anyone help me on this matter. Im working and i will need to know do i need to go to dublin to get new passports.

Thanks

You've plenty of time to get a new passport. If I were you, I'd renew now and not take any chances.

your also one day before this kicks in but i'd fill it in anyway, just to be sure.

[broken link removed]

got back on the 24th of november from new york and my hubbys passport only had 5 months left on it, he was fine nothing happened , go on www.aerlingus.com and there is information telling you that you can fly even if you dont have 6 months left on your passport as long as you fill in the green visa waiver form on the flight on the way over . Thats what we did and we were fine.

Thanks, im going up to the us embassey to make things clear and see am i covered.I dont want to miss my flight and miss out shopping time.

Thanks again
cormywormy

I also had this problem, travel agent telling me passport had to have 6 months. I rang US immigration at Shannon Airport directly and they told me it was fine. I had no problems, in fact they said it only had to be valid on the date I left Ireland. This was however 2 yrs ago but to be on the safe side ring US immigration directly, they will have the correct answer.

If you are going to the US after Jan 12th you need to pre-clear immigration clearance.

[broken link removed]

I also had this problem, travel agent telling me passport had to have 6 months. I rang US immigration at Shannon Airport directly and they told me it was fine. I had no problems, in fact they said it only had to be valid on the date I left Ireland. This was however 2 yrs ago but to be on the safe side ring US immigration directly, they will have the correct answer.
The fact is that travel agents don't have a clue and spout this 6 month thing for all destinations when clearly it is not the case at all. Go into a travel agents and ask about Spain or France and they will spout the 6 month spiel.

For the US it only has to be valid for your stay. For any EU country it only has to be valid on the day of departure.

Passport express may not help the OP on this occasion- there's a 10 day turnaround for the service, and they're leaving in 7 days.

A very useful service otherwise though, have used it myself a few times.

Passport express is handy for routine non urgent applications. If your application is non routine (e.g. an urgent application) you will need to present yourself at the passport office.

newyork is an exception.Did anyone fly to newyork in the past few months

The travel agents are talking nonsense and the Aer Lingus advice is incorrect. I flew to NY (JFK) a couple of weeks ago with my 10-year passport which expires in March 2009. There are absolutely no problems travelling with it. Further confirmation from the official US Embassy, as follows:

[broken link removed]

Visa Services

Validity of Irish/EU Passports for Travel to the United States

In most cases, to enter the United States, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter. However, the United States has an agreement with some countries (including Ireland) that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States.
However, if you are traveling visa-free on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and your passport is valid for less than 90 days, you will be admitted only until the date on which the passport expires. If the passport is not valid for the duration of your stay, you will be required to apply for a new passport from your Embassy while in the U.S.
If your visit will be of short duration during which time your passport will expire, we recommend that you obtain a new passport before traveling.

Passport express may not help the OP on this occasion- there's a 10 day turnaround for the service, and they're leaving in 7 days.

A very useful service otherwise though, have used it myself a few times.

Apologies - I missed the bit about leaving in 7 days when I first read the post.

Told you there would be no problem. :)

I think it is time that most travel agents were retrained.

Back