Flying to Girona

DeclanP

I have booked fairly cheap flights to Girona (Barcelona) with Ryanair in May and am now looking for a town to stay in. I have no interest in going to Barcelona city itself but I am looking for a town on the northern side. Looking on the map and the websites, it is dotted with small towns with lovely looking beaches but I am looking for a few recommendations and possibly the best way to get from the airport to the destination. I know that transport from the airport can be problematic may require several busses. Any advice or recommendations would be welcome.

Colliure is a small port town just over the border in France, its about an hours drive from Girona, and really well worth visiting, would be a great place to chill; good food, wine and beach in a very scenic setting. A car is probably the best mode of transport in that area

Colliure is a small port town just over the border in France, its about an hours drive from Girona, and really well worth visiting, would be a great place to chill; good food, wine and beach in a very scenic setting. A car is probably the best mode of transport in that area

Thanks, Deli and will look into it. Anyone try out the towns of Roses, L'Escalia, Palafrugell or Palamos which are just down from each other on the coast?

Have visited the area many times and find Gerona itself is nice for a night or two, its a small city and very Spanish, you can walk around the centre easily. Hotel Historic is nice small and reasonable hotel with character in the old town area, one side of river has old town, other newer area. Have also stayed in Penninsular, which is good but not as central. Did not like the AC hotel.

The coast area around a small town called Begur (Hotel Rosa here is simple, but excellent value) town has a number of restaurants /bars. Here too the Parador is in a fabulous location with amazing views. Another nice small town right on coast is Llafranc - it has a few small hotels - stayed in LLevant Hotel right on seafront and would recommend - small and simple again. If you go there you should also vist Tamariu which has a beautiful small horseshoe bay - great for lunch but too quite at night. These areas are less than an hour from Girona.

Check out tripadvisor for any of the above also if you are interested there is a Salvador Dali museum about 30 minutes north of Girona.

Thanks for that. That provides me with plenty of options. Have been to Tossa de Mar on the coast last year and it was a beautiful place so I am just looking for some alternatives. Thanks again

haven't personally tried any of those towns, but know of some french aquaintenances who frequently visit Cadaques, which is near by. They say its beautiful, a very spainish small coastal town, not big on the tourist trail !

haven't personally tried any of those towns, but know of some french aquaintenances who frequently visit Cadaques, which is near by. They say its beautiful, a very spainish small coastal town, not big on the tourist trail !

We went to Girona in early December. Stayed one night in the holiday inn on outskirts of Girona €24 in a taxi. It's clean and brand new and right next door to a large shopping centre which has resturaunts etc. We stayed here due to the late flight.

Next day we drove up to Cadaques for one night. It is a beautiful village and the birth place of Salvador Dali.

We stayed at Hotel Playa Sol which is great and have a lovely pool area (closed when we were there) try to check out Casa Anita restuaraunt supposed to be great. See the following review

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...937A2575AC0A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

Girona itself is a lovely relaxed town well worth 2/3 days. Nice restaurants and walks. Stayed there in December, good deal at that time in mercure hotel.

Back