Flushing out radiators

milly123

Hi everyone,

We have a problem where our upstairs rads aren't working at all. We had a plumber/friend call out who suggested flushing (de-sludge) out the system as the house is now 14 years old. Does anyone know what is involved with this ??? I'm a bit reluctant to get our friend to do it a nixer if it is a dirty job as i would be concerned about the carpets being ruined...

Thanks in advance

Michelle

This is something that you would do outside milly. Basically, radiators are detached and powerhosed out - sometimes chemicals can be added too.

It's a messy enough job but not a big one - definitely one for the nixer guy. It's not always successful though - we got 6 of ours flushed out but it made no difference to 2 of them and we had to replace them.

Thanks Caveat, i had vision of dirty water leaking out of the rads as he brought them down the stairs. He did mention putting some kind of de sludger into the tank to try to clear them, maybe that would be worth a go first.

Thanks again.

Thanks Caveat, i had vision of dirty water leaking out of the rads as he brought them down the stairs. He did mention putting some kind of de sludger into the tank to try to clear them, maybe that would be worth a go first.

Thanks again.

No problem.

Ask questions about the 'de sludger' though - some of these can use very harsh chemicals which can actually lead to pipe erosion & leaks. As far as I know the jury is out on them - some people are not too concerned but some plumbers have told me to avoid them.

By the way, you may still get a few drips inside the house unless you are very careful - put a few layers of newspaper everywhere!

Back