Flipping fuse - wont hold

bazermc

I have a standard fuse box. Over last night and yesterday evening one of the fuses keep tripping and wont turn back on i.e. immediately shuts down as soon as I turn it back on. The fuse controls our outside light, water pump and some lights in the attic. it has been really wet in Dublin over the last 24 hours could this be an issue?

My knowledge of electricity is obviously, but I assuming the continuing tripping means there is a problem in the system and for safety reasons it is turning off?

Am I safe to keep turning it back on? Sometimes it lasts a few hours before it trips again or only a few seconds.

Cheers

I'm no expert either, but I do know you should call an electrician immediately (if you haven't already). As far as I know the trip switch activates when the power is overloaded, so you technically shouldn't be in any danger as long as it keeps doing its job, but there is clearly something that needs professional attention asap.

An Electrician should identify the problem quite quickly , I had this problem before and got a guy to look at it , turned out the seal on the outside light was broken and letting in water, half an hour and he was done . I got a bang off electricity a few years ago and would never try fix electrics myself again , its really mad to even consider ! please learn from my mistake.

yes just called elctrician and he will look at it this evening. it apperas it could be due to water leaking into our outside lights. In the meantime I wont touch it and leave it turned off

Thanks all.

Something similar turned out it was the washing machine (process of elimination) that was causing the trip,could not be repaired so replaced and no more tripping.

Back