Flight landings & applause

ClubMan

Is it a peculiarily Irish thing for some passengers to applaud on landing when there is even a minor hint of turbulance during the flight or landing approach or does it happen in other primitive cultures too?

Always associated it with the US, but it has been sneaking in here on package holidays.
With cut-price airlines we might soon see tip-trays at the back of the cabin doors to allow us to also show our appreciation of the service.

Is it a peculiarily Irish thing for some passengers to applaud on landing when there is even a minor hint of turbulance during the flight or landing approach or does it happen in other primitive cultures too?
I have only ever seen this in the USA

Happened on a few package hols I was on alright.

Rather than clap I usually just give a big sigh of relief:rolleyes:

So glad to see a thread on this! We returned from Eindhoven on Monday and yes, the clapping started on landing. I can't get my head around it, as I said to my OH, what are they clapping for - the fact that we didn't crash?????? Were they expecting to crash?????

Weird.

Recent had clapping on a Aer Lingus flight from Dubvronik. Was nothing out of the ordinary about the flight and it was an average landing in terms of smoothness so can only assume they were clapping simply because they did not crash. I have come across this several times in different places and I do not believe it is specific to any country or region.
In my experience you get it any time there are a significant amount of Infrequent Flyers on the flight (in my DBV example it was an elderly Medugiore pilgrimage group). People who rarely fly are usually more nervous and hence happy to be back on Terra Firma again.

I remember it years ago but only had it happen once this year. It's just weird.

I've noticed this mainly on flights to Italy, and some to Spain, so I thought it was to do with the expressive Latin character. I like it - it's nice to see people in a good humour clapping a job well done.

I agreee with your sentiments ragazza as what is the harm in clapping at the end of a flight. If people are in holiday mood then whats the problem?
Some people can be so uptight about things if this bothers them!

Never got 'the clap' on an airplane so far! If it ever happens I'll be very tempted to boo and lament that "the bomb didn't go off!".

Aren't most landings automated these days? Do people realise they are applauding a machine?

Who said that it was a problem or that it bothered them?

Calling the Irish a 'primitive culture' is a fair indication of your disdain for the practice.

I fly quite a bit and generally only ever see this when there are large groups travelling together and they are either in major holiday/off from school mode or are inexperienced/nervous flyers. Also once when we had made several attempts to land in really bad weather and the final attempt was to be the last before diverting - think the pilot deserved a round of applause for that one.

Never got 'the clap' on an airplane so far! If it ever happens I'll be very tempted to boo and lament that "the bomb didn't go off!".
Yeah, go on then, given the ridiculous over reaction to the 'B' word, the plane will have to take off, fly to Prestwick, they'll carry out a controlled explosion (probably after allowing the passengers off after a 36 hr stand off in which ye all had to drink your own bodily fluids), you'll then be hauled off to court and you'll get 12 yrs.

ryanair flight a few years ago from footie weekend in engerland. very windy evening. plane came over the airport so high I (and others) thought that he was going to go around again. needless to say he dropped it like a stone and bounced off the runway. no cheering or clapping on that one.

Calling the Irish a 'primitive culture' is a fair indication of your disdain for the practice
Can you not take a bit of a joke? :rolleyes:

Next time I write some really good source code I must call our customers and ask them for some applause.

Just back from lunch. The girl in O'Briens made such a good job of my sandwich that I had to applaud. It's only polite

Right, will try this with next clients who are due in about 5 minutes. I think they will be pleased with the contracts I have prepared so some applause would certainly be welcomed.

Back