Fixed Term Employmeny Contract

J

JimmyBones

Hi,
I just got offered a new job and received my employment contract in the post.

One section states that it is a 3 year fixed term contract and therefore the provisions of the Unfair Dismissals Acts 1977 and 1993 will not apply if the job is terminated at the end of the time.

My questions are:

a) How will this affect when getting a mortgage?

and
b) How does this type of contract affect my rights?

Thanks in advance,
JimmyBones

Fixed Term Employment contracts

Jimmy,
More and more jobs today are of a fixed term nature and while banks may be sticky about mortgage approval in some cases, they generally are understanding once your contract is renewable [and likely to be renewed].

They know that a "permanent" job in a certain industrial sectors may be less reliable than a renewable fixed term contract in others - particularly if your new employer is a long established company.

n2

Re: Fixed Term Employment contracts

The great thing about a fixed term contract is that you will definitely be employed for 3 years. If they want to get rid of you early, they will have to pay you compensation for breach of contract. Unless there is a term allowing them to dismiss you.

There is a new law governing such contracts which stops the employer from issuing new fixed contracts. I don't know the exact details, but I think if you have more than two such contracts, the third contract is invalid and you are legally a permanent employee.

Brendan

Hi,

Thanks for that folks!
So it's nothing out of the ordinary really.
I'll try the bank on monday for a mortgage on those conditions, and hopefully all will be well.

JimmyBones

If you need to know yor rights in relation to this matter (in particular the issue that Brendan mentions above) then contact the DETE's employment rights section and they should be able to advise you. They are very helpful and responsive on such matters:

www.entemp.ie/erir/empl2.htm

Back