Fitting LED lights

dickens

I bought two new LED lamps to fit in the kitchen ceiling.
The idea is to replace two of the six halogen downlighters already in place.
When I took down the first of the halogen lamps and fitted an LED in its place, then switched on, all the remaining halogens lit normally but the new LED refused to light.
I wired the new lamp white to red and black to blue. So what have I done wrong?
Can anyone throw any light on what might be the problem?

My bet is your halogens are probably 12V (low voltage) and your LEDs are mains??

You'll need to find the transformer(s) that are connected to the halogens. The transformers are usually wired close to some of the lights.

Remove all 6 lights and carefully pull out the wires with the power cut off! It should be possible to take out the transformer (will likely be 2 of them for 6 lights). Wire your LEDs to the cable feeding into the transformer(s).

If you're in any doubt, get an electrician in. Dodgy wiring in a ceiling is a fire hazard.
Leo

Thanks Leo.
I can find no transformers in the attic near any of the lamps.
But the new LEDs came with transformers already attached. When I wired the new LED into the existing feed I left the transformer in place. Could it be I should try removing that transformer before making the connection?

To answer Hansov, it's not a dimmer switch.

Hi, Leo! Nothing on the actual bulb but the holder has a sticker with the following:
ROBUS
Product Code:RS201E
Supply Volt: 240v AC 50Hz
Lamp Type: GU/GZ10
Max 50W

OK, there will be no transformers before those so. You new LED lights could be faulty.

To test you could wire one up to a lead with a standard plug on the end. Connect that to a socket.

That was very useful advice, Leo. I tested both lamps at a socket and found one working and the other faulty. I now have to see about getting them to replace it. Thanks a mil for your continuing interest in the case.

Dickens

Back