Fitted wardrobes across chimney breast?

noc1

I want to get new wardrobes in my 1950's house. The room has a chimney breast, but the current 70's style wardrobes go into the alcoves and fully across the chimney breast areas, ie the full length of the wall.
This means that the "chimney breast" part of the wardrobe is practically useless, as the shelving is only about 5-6 inches deep. However, desparate as i am to get as much storage as possible, i'd be willing to do the same again (Its not too bad for bits of toiletries etc.).

I'm sure this is a common enough problem, has anyone got any inspiring ideas to make this shallow space as useful as possible?
ta!

I have this in my master room - one door, shelves 7inches deep - just measured it and varying heights. It is fantastic and one of the most useful presses I have. I use it for all my toiletries, perfumes, body lotions, jewellery, sun tan lotions, etc etc. It's handy for books as well as I have limited book shelves in the house.

maybe if i bring the wardrobes out another inch or so it could make a big difference. the way it is now i woulnt fit books. i could fit shoes though! excellent idea toby, why didnt i think of that before????

as noc1 states...

wardrobes are generally 2 feet deep......
if you want the space in front of the chimney breast to match this then either extend the existing wards out (loss of floor space, can you afford this??) or end up with a stepped wardrobe (which i wouldnt recommend, looks crap)....

usually that space is use for shelving or mirrored....

I'm sure this is a common enough problem, has anyone got any inspiring ideas to make this shallow space as useful as possible?

Not sure if I'd call it inspiring, but you could install a "pidgeon-hole" (i.e. small boxed) style of cross-shelving. I've done this to store rolled-up ties, similar to the way they're often displayed in Tie-Rack, etc.

Alternatively, you could use the area to house (and hide when not in use) a flat screen TV and/or store DVDs, CDs, etc.

Hi, we got wardrobes installed and like yourself, it spans the chimney breast. We have a number of shelves. On the top one we have a 15" flat screen tv/dvd player - got the electrician to install tv point and sockets before wardrobe installed. Is very neat - tv hidden behind the doors so no unsightly bracket on the wall. Just open doors to watch tv - hinges are 180 degrees on these doors so open right back against the other doors

Then there are just other shelves - as the other guys say, useful for toiletries, hairdryer, dvd's, etc

or end up with a stepped wardrobe (which i wouldnt recommend, looks crap)....

usually that space is use for shelving or mirrored....

I think stepped or 'breakfront' wardrobes look outstanding if done properly.... check out
[broken link removed]

for one example I found in a few minutes, many other examples of outstanding work on that website.

Cheers
Joe

that breakfront has a step of about 50mm...

in this case youd be talking about a minimum of 425mm..... big difference...

i agree that the step breaks up the expanse of doors, but the poster is talking about including a full depth wardrobe in front of the chimney breast.... so to achieve the effect as per the link he / she would end up with very deep robes on either side..... fine if they can afford the space...

my wife has a full lenght mirror in ours and a fold out shoe store, which extends 3/4 of the way, you can buy them in argos etc, got a local welder to make us the bracket, works perfect and great space saver

Back