First time skiers

phoenix

Hi

We would love to try skiing between Christmas and when the children go back to school in January 2009.

Can anyone recommend a resort good for beginners and that time of year?

Are you better trying to book the trip yourself or take a package?

Many thanks

Phoenix

Hi

We thought St Johann in Austria was great this year, lots of gentle slopes, people learning there seemed to improve quickly. Very child friendly, Soll wasn't as good. We didn't have kids with us but met up with 4 or 5 families that had bunches of kids with them.

The ski schools were able to cater for anything and everything, some people even had au pairs provided for the week to give a hand to the smaller kids during the day.

Not the cheapest holdiay, from talking to them they came with a package operator but were going to book again direct flights and directly with the hotel for this Christmas.

We stayed half board at the Fischer hotel and found it very homely and friendly. Food was good typical Austrian fare, they provide free passes for the leisure centre. Hotel Park it's sister hotel looks lovely too and is nicely located at the foot of the slopes.

If you need any more info let me know.

For a first time it's probably easier to take a package, at least that way you know your flights, accommodation, skis/sticks & lessons are all arranged and also that if there is a problem you have a rep to go to who will hopefully sort things out for you.

Be aware that that time of year is going to be VERY expensive, and extremely busy. Most resorts would have close to full occupancy over the New Year period.

As regards where to go, at that time of year the higher the better in terms of getting snow. This year was a really good one, but the previous year was atrocious in the early season. The downside of going really high is that the altitude can affect some people. A site you may find useful is [broken link removed] which gives very good information about just about everywhere you can ski.

If you're in any way near Kilternan (South Dublin / North Wicklow area) I would highly recommend you do a couple of lessons with the Ski Club of Ireland on their artificial slopes. It will mean you don't spend your first day of your skiing holiday simply learning how to side-step up a hill, so once you get to your chosen resort you'll be able to actually move on your skis already, even though it will be on very gentle slopes at first.

By the way, unless you're all very fit, I wouldn't bother booking a hotel with lots of sporting facilities as the likelihood is that you'll be too tired after your skiing to be able to take advantage of them!

went to st johann this year (feb) as first timers found it excellent, stayed in a guesthouse and found it very good and very pleasant. go for the package as it takes alot of the heartache out of it for the first timers.

Be prepared for a sore a$$, especially if snowboarding, the only way to stop when you're a noob, is falling backwards....not nice after the 10th run!!

Thanks to all. Had a look at the packages for St Johann but can't locate a family room. It all seems to be twin and I wouldn't leave the children in a room on their own.

There seems to be a couple of hotels in Kaprun in Austria with family rooms, has anyone experience of this resort?

We found the following video very useful before we went on our first ski trip.

"RTE McGarry - The Ski System. Secrets of Skiing

For complete beginners up to intermediate skiers, to take you from green to red."

According to the cover it is endorsed by the world's top extreme skier!

I don't know if its still available (may be on DVD) but you are welcome to PM me if you would like to have the loan of it.

phoenix - try looking at the resort websites and hotel websites - you can be sure that almost all of them have family rooms - it is just the lazy/poor/whatever travel companies that don't list them. You may also be surprised to notice that the hotel will provide free/heavily discounted accommodation for children whereas the travel company will either provide no discount or else a very small one for the very same accommodation.

z

Back