First time landlord - fitting bedrooms?

DannyBoy

Hi folks,

I've lost my job recently and had to move country. Luckily the new employer has paid for the relocation, but now we're faced with having to rent out our house in Ireland.

Most of our furniture has been moved, and we're fitting the house with the very basics. Even that is costing a fortune at the moment.

My question is, how do people fit out the bedrooms? We have a 3-bed house, with one double bed in it at the moment, and the small bedroom (box room) has a computer desk and chair in it. I used it as a study and that's all you can fit in it, or a tiny bed.

I'm not sure what to do with the empty bedroom. Should we provide a bed for it? Should it be two single beds or a double? Should we wait until we get a tenant and then look for a bed? It might take weeks to deliver which could cause problems.

Also the double bed is 7 years old. Do people expect new furniture when they rent? I could replace the mattress, but that's an additional expense as well and we're trying to keep the costs down.

Just looking for advice, never done anything like this before and would prefer to avoid the common mistakes.

Thanks!

In order to get good tenants it might be worth at the very least changing the mattress. I have found, in my experience, that the tenants that do not care that you have an old mattress can end up not really caring about your house. Also if it is a bed that you yourself might not want to still sleep in then others will prob be the same.

As for the other bedroom, more than likely a bed will be needed but how about putting it on the rental market and seeing how the viewings go. You could perhaps advertise it as an unfurnished property.

Oh and when renting out a property, always expect the unexpected. As some renters can be just simply odd.

If the current double bed is in good condition I would leave it, if not I would replace it before viewings, there’s nothing more off-putting than a poor condition bed. You would also need wardrobes in bedrooms.

The second bedroom I would leave until you see what tenants you get.

Whatever you need can be got in Bargaintown, Des Kelly’s or similar who will deliver in 4/5 working days. I get good bases and just replace mattresses as required.

http://www.bargaintown.ie/

Most of our furniture has been moved, and we're fitting the house with the very basics. Even that is costing a fortune at the moment.

Just looking for advice, never done anything like this before and would prefer to avoid the common mistakes.

Where are you buying the furniture and could you give us an example of what you find expensive. You furnish a house as you would for yourself but you keep it stong and basic. You have to invest properly at the beginning in order to secure decent tenant's. Skimping will not work and only costs you in the end.

I know it may be difficult with you living outside of ireland but try some of the freetrade sites or gumtree, you will get very good condition items for next to nothing, sometimes free, it is also easy enough to negotiate delivery.

So far I've bought new cutlery, plates, pots & pans, didn't go for cheapest, went for cheaper but decent looking (homestore + more in airside).

Bought chairs in Ikea, their top range, but it seemed worth it as the chairs are solid and the covers are removable and washable. I figure if they get damaged, then next time around it will cost me 10 euro per cover to make them look like new. Frame is solid oak.

Bought a coffee table and 3+2 settee in Diamond Living. Went for the floor models that have a few scuffs but otherwise look great. Coffee table is solid wood, it was half price but it was still a lot and I think I made a mistake there. My only consolation is that if it gets damaged I can sand it down and revarnish it. I'm pretty good with DIY. The settee is not leather but looks like it. It's a hard wearing material that can be cleaned easily. It was also heavily reduced, would have cost me the same as cheapest in Ikea.

Dining table we left since we moved into a smaller place, but it's in perfect condition.

I've also repainted the rooms and fitted new floors downstairs. Went for the hardest wearing laminate, looks good and wasn't too expensive.

Kitchen elements are not new but we've looked after them well and they've been cleaned spotless.

The double bed looks ok, but it feels cheap. And it was cheap when we got it 7 years ago.

So you see what I mean, I kinda agree with what's been said here. I don't want to lose a good tenant because the bed is putting them off. And I don't want to get a tenant that will treat the rest of the house like crap because of the bed. It looks ok, but the headboard is thin and keeps wobbling, the mattress is too soft and I myself can't sleep in it properly, etc.

I'm just not sure what to do. I think I have these options:

1) Do nothing and see what the tenant wants for the main bedroom.
2) Get a double (or kingsize) decent bed for the main bedroom and see if they complain about the old double bed.
3) Get two single beds and move the old double bed into the main bedroom.
4) Get a new mattress for the old bed and any of the 1-3.

Thinking about beds and mattresses, I was thinking of going with Ikea. Had their bed before when we lived abroad and it was fine. If I get a decent bed frame I can just swap mattresses when they get worn.

I think we're in this for the long run, and we have 33 years left on the mortgage. So I don't mind spending if it makes sense. I'm just trying to keep it justified and to the minimum.

And thank you all for your comments, it's all very useful!

I get all my furniture for rentals from Buckleys Auction House in Sandycove.

You can get anything you need in very good clean condition for next to nothing there - even beds still in the plastic for half the price you would pay in a shop.

They don't have everything available at every sale (Thursdays), but if you go there over a few weeks, you can get most everything you need.

If your matress is clean and in good condition, I would leave it where it is. If you decide to get a new one, put a waterproof matress protector on it and supply a second one for changing. Advise the tenants that you want the matress protector kept on the beds at all times and that's why you're giving them a second one.

I put 2 matress protectors on all my beds, a waterproof one underneath and a nice soft padded one on top as the waterproof ones can be a bit hard.

Make sure you do a detailed inventory (the tenant should sign this as part of the lease, First Schedule) and take photographs of the furnishings in the event of a dispute when the tenants are leaving.

Explain to your tenants what constitutes normal wear and tear and what damages will result in deductions from their deposit. I have a note attached to my leases which details 'common reasons for deductions from your deposit'.

Be sure to put in an ironing board - otherwise they may iron on the dining room table and cause damage.

Put small bins in the bathrooms and advise the tenants that if the toilets are used for the disposal of anything other than toilet paper, they will be liable for the plumber's fee to unblock.

All the small items you have purchased for the house can be written off against your income in the first year as 'Kitchen Accessories Year 1', 'Bathroom Accessories Year 1' and 'General Household Accessories Year 1'.

Make sure your insurer knows that the property is going to be let, otherwise they may not cover in the event of a claim. Also ask them about Landlord's Liability Insurance - this covers you if the tenant claims for injury etc. while on your premises.

Have contents insurance for your furnishings and advise the tenant to cover their own personal items.

I get all my furniture for rentals from Buckleys Auction House in Sandycove.

You can get anything you need in very good clean condition for next to nothing there - even beds still in the plastic for half the price you would pay in a shop.

They don't have everything available at every sale (Thursdays), but if you go there over a few weeks, you can get most everything you need.

If your matress is clean and in good condition, I would leave it where it is. If you decide to get a new one, put a waterproof matress protector on it and supply a second one for changing. Advise the tenants that you want the matress protector kept on the beds at all times and that's why you're giving them a second one.

I put 2 matress protectors on all my beds, a waterproof one underneath and a nice soft padded one on top as the waterproof ones can be a bit hard.

Make sure you do a detailed inventory (the tenant should sign this as part of the lease, First Schedule) and take photographs of the furnishings in the event of a dispute when the tenants are leaving.

Explain to your tenants what constitutes normal wear and tear and what damages will result in deductions from their deposit. I have a note attached to my leases which details 'common reasons for deductions from your deposit'.

Be sure to put in an ironing board - otherwise they may iron on the dining room table and cause damage.

Put small bins in the bathrooms and advise the tenants that if the toilets are used for the disposal of anything other than toilet paper, they will be liable for the plumber's fee to unblock.

All the small items you have purchased for the kitchen can be written off against your income in the first year as 'Kitchen Accessories Year 1', 'Bathroom Accessories Year 1' and 'General Household Accessories Year 1'.

Make sure your insurer knows that the property is going to be let, otherwise they may not cover in the event of a claim. Also ask them about Landlord's Liability Insurance - this covers you if the tenant claims for injury etc. while on your premises.

Have contents insurance for your furnishings and advise the tenant to cover their own personal items.

Do Buckleys have a web site delgirl, I can't find them on google. cheers, LS.

They don't have a website as far as I know.

They're located on the [broken link removed]and have viewings every Wednesday and sales every Thursday. You can also view on Thursday before the sale starts, I think it's 2.30pm.

I think each bedroom should have a decent though inexpensive bed, mattress, mattress protector, wardrobe and small bed cabinet. Don't overfurnish but make sure you put a bed in the box room, to show that it is a bedroom:)

Not sure if it's better to have a double bed or two twin beds for your second bedroom.

Back