Health Insurance First time health insurance for family options?

positivenote

Hi,
reading all the disaster accounts in the public health system at the min and the impending increase on new applicants over 35 i'm looking to get health insurance for my family and wondering what my best options are. All advice welcomed.
Our background is:

Dad 40yrs healthy non-smoker
Mam 35 healthy non-smoker
Son 4 yrs old healthy
Daughter 3yrs old healthy

Im part of the TUI if this makes any difference and have never had health insurance before. as I say all advice re price and policies are welcomed as I want to get this sorted out sooner rather than later.
Thanks in advance

Hi,
reading all the disaster accounts in the public health system at the min and the impending increase on new applicants over 35 i'm looking to get health insurance for my family and wondering what my best options are. All advice welcomed.
Our background is:

Dad 40yrs healthy non-smoker
Mam 35 healthy non-smoker
Son 4 yrs old healthy
Daughter 3yrs old healthy

Im part of the TUI if this makes any difference and have never had health insurance before. as I say all advice re price and policies are welcomed as I want to get this sorted out sooner rather than later.
Thanks in advance

Similar to this profile. Also wondering about what to do for me and the family... Anyone??

Hi,
I'm not sure what budget you're planning to spend, here are a few options to consider.

VHI - Children
VHI have half price children offers at the moment, best option for children as follows;

VHI Parents and Kids Excess; price per child 138pa; good hospital cover(public,private & hi-tech) no outpatient cover.
[broken link removed]

VHI Adults
VHI Start Plan 250; price per adult 699pa; limited public and private hospital cover(see list of hospitals on link) no outpatient cover.
VHI PMI 37 13; price per adult 1011pa; good hospital cover (all public, private and hi-tech hospitals) no outpatient cover.
[broken link removed]

LAYA - Children
LAYA Healthcare have a new children's offer from today 13 April 2015, on certain plans, where you pay for one child only and the rest
are free, regardless of how many children are in the family. Best options as follows;
1. Laya Flex 125 Explore; 246pa for one child, good hospital cover( all public,private and hi-tech hospitals) no outpatient cover.
2. Laya Flex 125 Plus; 299pa for one child, good hospital cover( all public, private and hi-tech hospitals) some outpatient cover.
3. Laya Flex 125 Choice; 373pa for one child, good hospital cover (all public, private and hi-tech hospitals) good outpatient cover.
[broken link removed]

LAYA - Adults
Laya Flex 175 Explore; price 899 per adult, good hospital cover (all 3 levels included) no outpatient cover.
Laya Total Health Complete 175; price 1074per adult, good hospital cover(all 3 levels included) good outpatient cover.
[broken link removed]

There are cheaper options available with Laya if you are prepared to pay a higher hospital excess on admission or for a day case in
a private or hi-tech hospital. Details as follows; Flex range Explore or Plus with a 250 or 500 hospital excess. If considering these plans, just make sure you fully understand about the hospital excess, payable for "every" admission or daycase, and NOT in a public
hospital.

[broken link removed]

New Low Cost Public Hospital Only Plans
All 4 providers have cheap public hospital only plans available. These are OK if you just want to avoid the 2% loading and maybe hope to upgrade sometime in the future. The snag is if you need surgery, you go onto the same public waiting list as people with no health
insurance. So there is no advantage or faster access, the waiting time is the same. There is no option for private hospital cover on
these plans whatsoever. Just something to be aware of if considering one of these.

Some of the cheapest plans have a limited public hospital list, make sure to click on the list to see if it suits your area etc.
[broken link removed]

I've also included plans slightly dearer in price with no restrictions on public hospital choice.
[broken link removed]

A good alternative option is to consider the Laya Flex Explore 250 or 500 range - which includes all 3 levels of hospital cover,
including Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private, with a higher excess on admission or daycase.

Lots of food for thought.
Snowyb

Back