Motor First time cover for 50 year old on learner permit!

ClubMan

Hi there - finally had to bite the bullet and get motoring... go easy on me. :oops:

So...
  • Looking for first time cover in my own name
  • 142D 1.2L car
  • 50 year old male
  • On second learner permit (first was April 2014 to March 2016, second since April 2016)
  • 12 EDT lessons completed 2016 and test paid for but not scheduled yet - hoping to do it ASAP but still need to insure the above vehicle in my own name before that
  • Named driver on partner's policy February 2015 to February 2016 and again May 2016 to now
  • Unfortunately I think the break in cover (which was simply due to the exorbitant renewal premium in February 2016) works against me as I don't have a year continuous named driver cover? Also she had a small claim in 2015 so even if they were willing to take that year (Chill/Liberty were) I think the claim means that it's no use because it needs to be claim free by everybody on the policy? That's what one of the brokers seemed to say anyway.
  • I've shopped around quite a bit but only Liberty seem to be offering anything any way reasonable (and it's all relative!) especially if I add two siblings with no points/claims in the last three years...
    • Without siblings: Comprehensive = €3K+, TPFT = €2490
    • With 2 siblings: Comprehensive = €2217, TPFT = €1581
  • A broker told me that having my siblings named on the policy (with their permission of course!) would have no impact on them even if I happened to have an accident/claim/points. Is this true? Note that they are unlikely to be ever driving my car.
  • I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up for at least the first year until I have my full license and a year's NCB (and probably just go for TPFT cover for now?) but I was just wondering if anybody else had any comments/advice?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
To deal with the driving experience issue, no your partner having a claim on her policy doesnt affect you getting a letter of driving experience from the insurance company as you are looking for them to verify that Clubman has had no claims. Not Mrs Clubman. However the usefulness of any of it is negated due to the gap in the cover.

Unfortunately the premium is correct as you are considered a novice driver so you may as well be a 19 year old looking for cover., you've no full licence or no claims bonus.

I wouldnt go without comprehensive cover on a 2014 car. And unless you feel like engaging solicitors or being fairly active on chasing matters if someone hits your car, I would suggest comprehensive is amust.

Re siblings on the policy, your claiming will have no affect on them.

And yes, suck it up unfortunately. :cool:

Thanks peteb.
That's interesting and I appreciate your comments.

When I spoke to the guy in Chill he said that of their (15 or so?) underwriters only Liberty would quote given my criteria.
He said that in spite of the break in cover (Feb-April this year) they would accept one year named driving cover.
But when I mentioned that the main policyholder had a small claim late last year he said that this would basically nullify my named driver experience.
He said that ANY claim on the policy would do this. You seem to suggest otherwise?
I'll have to double check directly with Liberty - they are quoting a lot cheaper direct anyway.

If I do qualify for one year named driving experience then it changes the quotes significantly!

Comprehensive: €779
TPFT: €570

:eek:

But I probably shouldn't get my hopes up...

I take your point about comprehensive cover but I'm still not sure that I'd go for it at €2.2K. Worst case I could afford to pay for damage out of my own pocket and although it's a 142D car it's still worth only about €8K (Dacia Sandero). I'm still inclined to go for TPFT - unless I can get comp for €779!

Last edited:
So I got onto Liberty and they WILL take my one year named driving experience from February 2015-2016.
They said they take named driving experience as long as it's within the previous 2 years.
So the few months gap this year is not a problem and my cover since May 2016 makes no difference (as expected).

So we ran through the quote again and with the above details, now including one year named driving experience and with 2 siblings named (full licenses, driving c. 10+ years, no claims/points in past 3 years) the quotes are as above:

Comprehensive: €779
TPFP: €570 (+ €30 for optional windscreen/glass cover).

At those prices I would go for comprehensive.

good outcome! Chill guy was way wrong on the claim with Mrs Clubman. Dont know where they are coming from with that.

Yeah just shows it's best to double check/check around.
Thanks for your input on this thread - much appreciated. :)

Got them to knock another few quid off it before signing up - €735 fully comp in the end.
Happy enough with that given the circumstances and the other exorbitant quotes that I had seen along the way!

Back